13 Uses of Paneer, Cottage Cheese
uses of paneer in Indian cooking. uses of cottage cheese. Paneer is a type of fresh cheese that is believed to have originated in the Indian sub-continent. Also known as cottage cheese, it is used widely in Indian, oriental, continental, Persian and other cuisines.
1. Paneer is a versatile dairy product and is used in many Indian recipes whether savory or sweet.
2. Chopped or cubed paneer forms a part of the most famous subzis from all parts of India. A few of the famous paneer subzis are Kadai Paneer, Paneer Butter Masala, Palak Paneer. All these subzis are comprised of different vegetables along with paneer, each providing a unique touch to the dish. Paneer easily absorbs this flavor of the curry.
3. Paneer can be kneaded into dough or stuffed into parathas to make Paneer Parathas. This paratha can be spiced up with different masalas and makes a very healthy breakfast or snack option for all age groups. Other type of parathas which have paneer are Cabbage and paneer parathas or Methi Paneer Paratha.
4. It is also an ideal choice for grilling. Chunks of paneer are marinated in yogurt and spices and then grilled in a hot tandoor till slightly charred. This starter is called paneer tikka and there can be many variations to it as well like Achari paneer tikka and Tandoori Paneer TIkka.
5. Paneer Bhurji is one of the most famous street food recipes in India. Here, crumbled paneer is cooked with onions, tomatoes, garam masala and turmeric powder to make a flavorful snack. To make the paneer bhurji really soft, we need soft paneer. In such cases it is always best to make homemade paneer than getting the store bought one.
6. Being such a versatile ingredient it now being added to more and more recipes! Chopped paneer can be used as a topping on Tandoori Paneer Pizza, or Paneer and Tomato Open toast. It be put inside sandwiches, and even wraps like Pahadi Paneer Tikka Wrap.
7. Paneer is a famous ingredient in Indo-Chinese cuisine across India. Paneer chilly or Paneer in Manchurian sauce are a few delicacies that have Chinese influences all over them and are majorly popular across India.
8. Street food vendors are making full use of paneer in their menus, especially in Mumbai. The classic dosas and frankies have turned into Paneer chilly Dosas and Paneer Schezwan frankie.
9. It also serves as a really creamy filling in different types of snacks like Paneer Stuffed Bread Rolls.
10. When sliced into cubes and deep fried, this cheese tends to hold its shape very well. The batter in which the paneer is dipped can vary in taste and flavors for example Paneer Pakoda.
11. Paneer, which is essentially chenna compressed in a block form, can also be used to make desserts. Indian deserts that require chenna like Apple Sandesh can be made with paneer as it is much quicker than making the chenna from scratch.
12. Transform paneer into patties and koftas and serve innovative Nutritious Paneer Burgers and Paneer Koftas in Spinach Sauce.
13. Raw paneer cubes make a wonderful addition to salads. They provide a really soft texture to an otherwise crunchy salad.