Aloo Paratha, Punjabi Aloo Paratha Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 281 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 657815 times
Punjabi aloo paratha recipe | stuffed aloo paratha | aloo ka paratha | with 24 images.
Punjabi aloo paratha is a dish wish a universal appeal! While North Indians like to have it any time of the day, for breakfast, Indian lunch or dinner, South Indians too have borrowed this dish from the north and incorporated it into their supper and dinner menus. stuffed aloo paratha is also a very famous Indian street food which is mostly available in the morning.
What makes these whole wheat Punjabi aloo paratha so appealing is the soft and tasty filling of potatoes flavoured with peppy spice powders and crunchy onions. Green chillies spike up the flavour of the aloo ka paratha stuffing, while amchur gives it an enjoyable tinge of tanginess.
To make aloo paratha, first knead a semi-stiff dough. For stuffing, heat ghee in a pan add cumin seeds, add onions and green chillies which can be adjusted according to the preference, add mashed potatoes followed by red chillie powder, coriander for freshness and amchur powder for tanginess. Mix well and stuffing of aloo ka paratha is ready.
To proceed, divide dough, roll into a small roti. Roll a portion of the Punjabi aloo paratha stuffing into a ball, place it in the centre of the rolled dough and pull all the sides together and get rid of excessive dough. Flatten it and roll into a paratha. Place it on a greased tava and cook the stuffed aloo paratha.
Aloo parathas taste best when served hot with pickles/achaar and curd, but they may also be carried in a dabba.
Punjabis love their aloo parathas smeared with homemade safed makhan and with a tall glass of lassi.
If you enjoyed our Punjabi aloo paratha recipe | stuffed aloo paratha | aloo ka paratha | with detailed step by step photos and video below, check out our collection of stuffed paratha recipes for dinner.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, ghee and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Add enough water and knead into a semi-stiff dough. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green chillies, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, salt, chilli powder, coriander, dry mango powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Divide the stuffing into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- To make aloo parathas, divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll a portion of the dough into a circle of of 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle.
- Place a little stuffing in the centre of the circle.
- Bring together all the sides in the centre and seal tightly.
- Roll again into a circle of 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle with a little flour.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the aloo paratha using a little ghee until golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing to make 11 more aloo parathas.
- Serve the aloo parathas immediately with fresh curds.
Aloo Paratha Video by Tarla Dalal
Aloo Paratha, Punjabi Aloo Paratha Recipe recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per paratha
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.