11 Uses of Cardamom
Cardamom is a spice that most predominantly grown in India (where it is known as Elaichi) and Indonesia. It is one of the most ancient spices in the world, sometimes referred to as the queen of spices and is also considered to be one of the most expensive spices. It is used for adding a distinct aroma and taste to the food.
1. Cardamom is one of the main spices used in Indian Cuisine.
2. A mix of whole spices that includes cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, is one of the best and classic combinations that flavors Punjabi vegetable subzis. These 3 spices enhance the flavor any gravy whether tomato, onion or milk based, for example Paneer Makhani and Dum aloo.
3. It gives a rich aroma and subtle sweetness to various rice dishes. Cardamom is an important ingredient that enriches the taste of different biryanis and pulaos like Shahi Pulao. Many recipes call for cardamom to be added whole, with the pod. It slowly infuses the dish with its essence and the shell disintegrates as it cools.
4. Garam Masala, a spice mix used commonly in subzis, rice preparations and snacks in India is made by roasting many spices together and then grinding them up, one of these spices being Cardamom.
5. It provides a unique sweetness to different types of dals and curries like Dal makhani and give them a regal smell and flavor.
6. The trio of cardamom, saffron and nutmeg is a winner combination for Indian Sweets. Almost all sweets, hailing from different parts of the country, make use of this. For example the Gujarati Basundi and Bengali Rasmalai to Sooji Halwa, each have a distinct taste of cardamom.
7. Elaichi is an important addition to beverages as well. The classic Masala Chai makes use of cardamom to give it a strong aroma! Even coffee made with cardamom is pleasantly aromatic and refreshing. Cardamom is an often added spice in Arabic coffee, which is known for its unique taste.
8. It is an important ingredient in Panakam, a traditional south Indian cooling drink made with jaggery along with pepper powder, basil and other ingredients had on Ram Navami.
9. Cardamom is also used in making paan, an after meal digestive prepared using betel leaves.
10. Desserts like Ice creams, flans, rice pudding and porridge also use this spice. Infusing the cream with cardamom results in a wonderful rich cardamom ice cream.
11. It forms a part of the Lebanese spice powder, Baharat that is used to season soups and meat dishes.
To know about Recipes using Cardamom, check out our collection.