11 Uses of Barley, Jau with Indian Recipes
Barley is a cereal grain that grows all around the world. The texture of barley is chewy and it tastes kind of nutty. There are various varieties of barley available but the most famous is Pearl Barley. It is fibrous, full of protein and super healthy to consume. There are many uses of Barley, one of them being used a replacement of rice in different recipes.
1. Barley is a cereal grain that can be used whole, cracked or even as a flour. This flour can be used to make barley breads, muffins and even pancakes.
2. Since barley is a nutritional product and keeps the body cool, it is used in making kanji, a summer drink. To make this barley is first Roasted and powdered and cooked with a little water. Once cooked, it is had with milk and sugar, which in turn helps regulating the body temperature.
3. Barley is recommended by dieticians all over the world as it is high in fiber, proteins and also aids weight loss. You too can try it in the form of Nourishing Barley Soup, if you are aiming at reach your weight loss targets.
Nourishing Barley Soup
4. Barley can be used as a substitute of rice in Indian recipes like Barley and Moong dal khichdi.
Barley and Moong Dal Khichdi
5. Since it is widely cultivated in the Middle East, it is used in a range of Arabic, Turkish and Persian cuisines.
6. Pearl barley is commonly used to nourish soups, stews etc. Due to its chewy texture, it adds a rich component to soups like Coconut Barley Soup. In Saudi Arabia, barley soup is traditionally eaten during Ramadan.
Coconut Barley Soup
7. Cracked barley or barley flakes can be used like other nourishing cereals to make porridges etc.
8. Barley can also be used to make South Indian delicacies like Mysore Dosa and Barley Idli.
9. Barley is one of the primary ingredients used in beer, whiskey and other alcoholic beverages.
10. Combining cooked barley with vegetables and dressings of your choice make delicious and healthy salads like Chickpea, Mushroom and Barley Salad.
Chick Pea, Mushroom and Barley Salad with Balsamic Dressing
11. Non-alcoholic beverages like barley water and barley tea are prepared by boiling barley in water.
Homemade Strained Barley Water Recipe, Clear Fluid Recipe