Kashmiri Dum Aloo
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 539 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 183156 times
A delicacy from the snow-capped mountains, Kashmiri Dum Aloo is a delicious potato preparation that’s bursting with flavour.
Chilli-coated potatoes are cooked with curds, tomatoes and a flavourful paste of whole spices and sautéed onions.
Dried fenugreek leaves are the ultimate addition to this tasty dish, which gives it a really rich flavour.
You will enjoy not just the taste but also the awesome mouth-feel of this dish. Enjoy it hot with your favourite roti or puris .
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cloves, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, green chillies, red chillies and turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Cool and blend in a mixer till smooth without using any water. Keep aside.
- Combine the curds and ¼ cup of water in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the baby potatoes, chilli powder and salt in a deep bowl and toss well.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the chilli potatoes , mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onion paste, coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the tomato pulp, ¼ cup of water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the curd-water mixture and sugar and mix well.
- Switch on the flame, add the dried fenugreek leaves and potatoes, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||351.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||28.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||30.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.