As every Indian knows, this masala is most commonly used different types of sabzi throughout India. Because of the spices we use in garam masala, it is ideal for almost all subzis as it provides a complexity in flavor. A few subzis made using garam masala are:
Indian sabzi using Garam masala
• Paneer Makhani – This classic, even though a Punjabi delicacy, is eaten all around the world and is everyone’s favorite. Made with lots of butter and lots of love, it’s a must for people who want an introduction to Indian food.
• Mirchi ka salan – this is a dish from the southern part of India. It is a subzi made with less spicy chillies with a gravy made of peanuts, tamarind pulp, coriander seeds, coconut, garlic and many other spices that makes it delectable.
• Pindi Chole – This is the most famous Punjabi dish known across the globe. Even though the flavors seem super complex and intense, this dish is fairly simple to make. The garam masala helps in giving it this intense taste.
Innovative recipes using Garam masala
We, of course, use garam masala in many dishes which are predominantly Indian. Due to the versatility of the spice powder, we can also use it in different ways to give certain recipes the Indian touch.
• Masala Bread Loaf – Add a twist to the regular old white bread and make this masala bread loaf! Flavored with garlic, spices and garam masala, this can be enjoyed at tea time or you can even make a sandwich out of this!
• Combining the flavours of myriad spices, garam masala has endless culinary uses.
• It is usually added to curries, vegetable dishes, soups or stews toward the end of cooking, or sprinkled over the surface just before serving.
• It can be used while tempering dals and khichdis, added to marinades, or sprinkled over papads.
How to store garam masala
• Store the masala in an airtight container in a cool and dark place.
Health Benefits of garam masala
• Since the masala powder is added only in small quantities, it does not have substantial health benefits.
• However, the use of beneficial spices like cloves and peppercorns helps improve digestion and immune functions.