Masala Bread Loaf
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 28888 times
This aromatic and flavourful bread that can be enjoyed just plain, as it is already loaded with the fabulous flavours of garlic, herbs and spices.
Alternatively, you can brush it with a little butter and toast it, or make a sandwich with cheese and sliced veggies. Whichever way you have it, you will find that the Masala Bread Loaf is a notch above normal bread.
Have it warm and fresh, to enjoy the bubbly flavours of garlic, coriander and the spice powders, or store it in an airtight container for using later.
You can also try other bread loaves like Eggless Orange and Tutti Frutti Loaf or Chocolate Carrot Loaf .
- Combine the dry yeast, sugar and ¼ cup of lukewarm water, mix gently in a bowl. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, salt and yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft and loose dough using enough lukewarm water.
- Knead the dough again for 5 minutes till smooth.
- Add the butter and knead very well till the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a proper round using both your hands while tucking the edges at the bottom.
- Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 1 hour or till the dough is double in size.
- Heat the butter in a small non-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the green chillies and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Switch off the flame and transfer the mixture in a bowl. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Add the garam masala, chilli powder, salt and coriander, mix well and keep aside.
- After the dough has rested for 1 hour, dust the plain flour over a smooth, flat surface, place the dough over it and knead it well using both your hands.
- Stretch the dough, add the prepared masala and knead very well once again, till all the masala has mixed properly with the dough, while stretching it continuously while kneading.
- Stretch the dough with your fingers to make a 250 mm. X 200 mm. (10” x 8”) diameter oval shape.
- Roll the dough from one end to the other and to make a 200 mm. (8”) long cylindrical roll like a swiss roll and pinch the edge of the rolls so as to seal it properly.
- Place the dough in a greased rectangular aluminium tin of 200 mm. X 25 mm (8" x 3") tin with the pinched edge facing downwards. Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and again keep aside in a warm place for 30 minutes, or till it doubles in size.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes and place the tin in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 180°c (360°f) and bake it for 20 minutes keep aside to cool slightly.
- Once the bread loaf is slightly cooled, de-mould and brush it with melted butter evenly over it.
- Cut the bread loaf into 13 mm. (½“) bread slices.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Masala Bread Loaf Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values per slices
|Vitamin A||102.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.5 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.