What is baby potatoes, chote aloo?
Baby potatoes are the potatoes which are removed from the soil before they are fully developed/ grown. Due to this, you will find that baby potatoes have a sweeter flavour. It usually has a pale brown thin outer skin with a creamy off white interior. They are used worldwide in a variety of dishes ranging from salads, vegetable accompaniments to even main courses. In India, baby potatoes are used to make a very popular dish called "Dum Aloo".
Baby potatoes can be cooked using various culinary methods, namely- steamed, broiled, grilled, roasted, stir fried, baked etc. But a very good method to ensure that baby potatoes absorb the flavours of the additional seasonings, prick the potatoes all over with a fork and then cook.
Boiled and peeled baby potatoes
As the name suggests, baby potatoes are boiled in water by pressure cooking or open cooking and then cooled slightly and peeled. These can be used in variety of dishes like dum aloo. Boiled and peeled baby potatoes can also be cut into halves or pieces as per the recipe requirement.
Boiled baby potato halves
Baby potatoes can be boiled by putting washed and cleaned baby potatoes in salted boiling water and boil till the potatoes are completely cooked. Drain the water and cool slightly. Cut into halves horizontally and use as required.
Boiled baby potatoes
To boil baby potatoes, you can either place them in boiling water and cover and cook till they turn soft. Alternatively, you can also pressure cook them by placing them in a sieve and then placing on a stand in pressure cooker and cook for 2-3 whistles or till they are cooked well. These baby potatoes can be used peeled and unpeeled as well. To peel them, first keep them aside to cool and peel the skin off. Boiled and peeled baby potatoes can be used in variety of recipes like aloo chaat, dum aloo etc. Unpeeled boiled baby potatoes are also used to make variety of subzis or they can be pricked all over, deep fried and added to chaats, gravies etc.
Deep-fried baby potato halves
Peel the baby potatoes with a peeler, cut them into halves horizontally and deep fry them in hot oil till light brown from all sides.
Parboiled and peeled baby potatoes
Parboiled potatoes are those which are boiled in salted boiling water till the potatoes are 80% cooked. Baby potatoes can be parboiled by putting washed and cleaned baby potatoes in salted boiling water and boil till the potatoes are 80% cooked. Cool slightly, peel and use as required. Parboiled and peeled baby potatoes can be used in variety of recipes in grated, chopped or sliced forms, depending on the recipe.
Parboiled baby potato halves
Baby potatoes can be parboiled by putting washed and cleaned baby potatoes in salted boiling water and boil till the potatoes are 80% cooked. Cool slightly, peel, cut into halves horizontally and use as required.
How to select baby potatoes, chote aloo
Ensure that the baby potatoes are firm and free from dirt, grime or any blemishes. Check that the skin is smooth and doesn't have mild green patches (which are an indication of solanine- a pigment which is toxic and should be discarded before cooking).
Culinary Uses of baby potatoes, chote aloo in Indian Cooking
· Baby potatoes go very well in chilled salads. Boil and peel the baby potatoes and combine with a dressing of your choice. Dressings made with a lemon base or mayonnaise base goes very well with baby potatoes.
· Toss boiled potatoes in butter, garlic and aromatic herbs to make a quick stir fry which will go very well as a starch accompaniment to main courses. The aromatic herbs that will go well are rosemary, thyme etc.
· Marinate baby potatoes with spicy tandoori marinade or nice makhmali (cream and cheese marinade) to make delicious tandoori starters. They are best served with mint chutney, onions, lemon wedges and laccha parathas (Indian bread).
· For Chinese starters, serve marinated and fried baby potatoes with Sichuan sauce. Other Chinese recipes can be baby corn, mushrooms and baby potatoes roasted with ginger, garlic, soya sauce, white pepper and Sichuan salt.
· Dum Aloo is baby potatoes deep fried in oil and then cooked in a semi spicy and creamy tomato based gravy. It is best cooked on "Dum"- the final cooking should be done on steam for a longer time so that the potatoes absorb the flavours.
· Baby potatoes can be sautéed with balsamic vinegar and seasonings to give a unique- yet rich flavour.
· Use halved baby potatoes in au gratins, pasta etc as an added vegetable.
How to store baby potatoes, chote aloo
Always store baby potatoes in a cool and dry place away from sunlight and moisture. Cooked baby potatoes should be wrapped in glass bowls with cling film and then store in the refrigerator. Use cooked baby potatoes within 2 to 3 days of refrigeration.
Health benefits of baby potatoes, chote aloo
Baby potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates which can lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.