Last Updated : Dec 02,2023
Viewed 115324 times
Also Known as
Dalchini, darchini, dhall cheene
What is dalchini, cinnamon, dalcheeni?Cinnamon is the inner bark of a tropical evergreen tree. Cinnamon is harvested as strips of bark rolled one inside another. The pale-brown to tan strips are generally thin, the spongy outer bark having been scraped off. The best varieties are pale and parchment-like in appearance.
Cinnamon is very similar to cassia, and in North America little distinction is given, though cassia tends to dominate the market. Cinnamon is also available ground, and can be distinguished from cassia by its lighter colour and much finer powder.
This can be prepared by roasting whole cinnamon and then crushing it into fine powder. A blender may be used for this purpose as cinnamon is hard to be ground into powder in a mortar and pestle. Cinnamon powder is used for marinades, stews, soups or cakes and pies.
How to select dalchini, cinnamon, dalcheeni
• Cinnamon can be bought whole or in the ground form.
• Whole cinnamon is much more aromatic and flavourful than readymade powders.
• Whole cinnamon should be compact and free of any blemishes.
• Just like with other dried spices, when purchasing cinnamon, try to select that which is organically grown since this will give you more assurance that it has not been irradiated.
• While buying packaged cinnamon powder, check the expiry date and feel for lumpiness (sign of moisture inside the packet).
Culinary uses of dalchini, cinnamon, dalcheeni in Indian cooking
Cinnamon very commonly used in beverages and drinks, as it also soothes the throat and also have health benefits. Recipes like Chocolate Cinnamon Coffee
aesthetically laced with cinnamon and nutmeg, is a soul-stirring drink that you will really enjoy.
Ginger Cinnamon Tea Very, very refreshing, is sure to put you back on the right track on a busy day! Kashmiri Kahwa a classic drink from the Himalayan valley, is a soul-warming drink that resonates with the power of Indian spices.
Apple Cinnamon Smoothie when you are in a hurry, this satiating makes an amazing breakfast, Almond Honey Cinnamon Milk whole cinnamon is blended with the almonds, you get a really rich flavour.
Cinnamon, dalchini used in snacks
Oats and Cinnamon Biscuits with the pleasant crunch of oats and aesthetic flavour of cinnamon, this biscuit, which is mildly sweetened with a sugar substitute, is sure to appease your sweet tooth too.
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls soft and fluffy bread reveals a creamy, cinnamon-tinged core, enthralling your taste buds and making your heart soar with joy! Spiced Pancakes with Cinnamon Pears One alone spice cinnamon, works its magic in transforming the pear filling into a gourmet delight! Cinnamon French Toast The Cinnamon French Toast has a richer and more luxuriant taste as the milk-eggs mixture is tinged with cinnamon, it also can be made eggless.
• The flavour of cinnamon is quite delicate and aromatic, and is thus used more in dessert dishes.
. Cinnamon – an anti-bacterial spice: The cinnamaldehyde, its active compound, helps to fight various types of infection. Its essential oils also are known to boost immunity and protect against common cold and sore throat. Try the Turmeric and Cinnamon Detox Water to strengthen your immune system and fight infections. You can also try Star Anise Tea as a home remedy for cold and cough
• It is commonly used in cakes and other baked goods, milk and rice puddings, chocolate dishes and fruit desserts, particularly apples and pears.
• It is used in curries and pulaos, and in garam masala.
• It may be used to spice mulled wines, creams and syrups.
• In Mexico, cinnamon is added to tea and brewed.
How to store dalchini, cinnamon, dalcheeni
• Whole barks of cinnamon will keep their flavour indefinitely.
• Unfortunately it is difficult to grind, so for many recipes the powdered variety will be preferred.
• Like other powdered spices cinnamon loses flavour quickly, so should be purchased in small quantities and kept away from light in airtight containers.
Health Benefits of dalchini, cinnamon, dalcheeni
Benefits of Cinnamon, dalchini, cinnamon powder : Cinnamon with its antioxidant power has the ability to reduce inflammation in the body and thus reduce the risk of various chronic diseases like heart disease, diabetes, cancer etc. Cinnamon since ages has been known to be beneficial for diabetics. Diabetes is a disease which occurs due to insulin resistance. Intake of cinnamon is said to reduce this resistance and instead improve insulin sensitivity in cells thereby helping to maintain normal blood sugar levels. cinnamon helps to reduce the blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels and thus prevents clot formation. See detailed benefits of cinnamon, dalchini.
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.