Kashmiri Pulao, Veg Pulav with Mixed Nuts
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18459 times
The Kashmiri Pulao is a unique dish, with a richness that reflects the spirit of the beautiful valley. Tinged with saffron and spices, this rice dish is loaded with plenty of dried fruits and nuts, which give it a pleasant sweetness and vibrant mouth-feel.
The spicy aroma of this dish is intoxicating, while the grand appearance dotted with cashews and raisins is absolutely inviting!
The Kashmiri Pulao is worth including in a party or festival menu.
You can also try other pulao recipes like the Shahi Pulao or Pearl Pulao, Rice with Baby Onions .
- Soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the saffron and warm milk in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cashewnuts, almonds and raisins and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Drain, remove the nuts and keep aside.
- In the same pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds, bayleaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns and fennel seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger paste, garlic paste and chilli powder and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add 1½ cups hot water, saffron-milk mixture and coriander, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Pressure cook it for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the prepared nuts evenly over the rice.
- Serve hot.
Kashmiri Pulao by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.