Soaked and cooked long grain rice
The rice needs to be soaked for 20-30 minutes. Then, the soaking water is discarded and twice the amount of water by volume is added to the rice for cooking. It can be cooked in a pressure cooker or in a pan. It can also be cooked by adding 3-4 times the water in a pan and draining the excess water once cooked. Always boil the rice just a little less than done, to keep the grain whole and separate. Take a grain between your thumb and index finger and press. If it breaks on pressing but does not leave a hard speck, then it is done.
• The rice is fluffy and dry and the grains do not stick together after it is cooked.
• Steaming, boiling and baking are excellent preparation methods for Basmati rice, which can be used in pulaos, salads and a variety of cooked dishes.
• Basmati rice combines well with sauces and curries.
• It is also perfect for biryani and pulaos.
• Kheer, Sweet Saffron Rice and Phirni may be prepared as desserts.
• Heat cooked rice with milk or soymilk. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins and honey for a delicious rice pudding.
• Use leftover Basmati rice for cold rice salads that are great for on-the-go lunches.
• Be creative and add tofu plus your favourite vegetables, nuts, herbs and spices.
• For a simple yet delicious lunch or dinner entrée, serve beans and rice accompanied by the vegetables of your choice.
• Basmati rice can be spruced up with toppings of your choice such as nuts, sesame seeds and healthy sautéed mushrooms.
• Place Basmati rice and chopped vegetables in pita bread, top with your favourite dressing, and enjoy a quick and easy lunch meal.
Quick Indian recipe using long grained rice, Basmati rice
Recipes ready in minutes, using long grained rice. When short of time or you getting late for work, these pulao recipes would speed up your time and make it easier and quick.
1. Vegetable Pulao loaded with veggies and flavoured subtly with a fine choice of spices, the Vegetable Pulao is one dish that is famous all over the world.
2. Corn Methi Pulao sweetness of corn and the innate bitterness of methi complement each other well in this pulao.
3. Cabbage Rice a quick-fix but filling dinner! sliced capsicum and a very mild dose of pepper are the only flavouring agents in this gentle rice.
4. Baked Beans with Buttered Rice a pungent topping of baked beans, onions, capsicum and ketchup complements the buttered rice very well.
5. Khumb Pulao
succulent mushrooms with zesty spring onions, perked up with spices and powders make a delicious Khumb Pulao that will be loved by the whole family.
How to store long grain rice, basmati chawal, basmati rice
• Since rice features an oil-rich germ, it is susceptible to becoming rancid.
• Store in an airtight container, in a cool, dry place rather than the refrigerator.
Health benefits of long grain rice, basmati chawal, basmati rice
Here are the pros for rice. Rice is a great source of complex carbohydrates, which is an important source of energy for our body. Moreover it is gluten free. Rice is low in fibre and therefore a good option for people suffering from diarrhoea. But rice is a good source of protein and B vitamins.
What's not good in rice. Foods like rice are high in Glycemic index are not suitable for weight loss, heart patients, diabetics as they affect the blood sugar control levels. However if rice is combined with high protein or high fibre foods, the glycemic load can be balanced. Thus its combo is a better choice as we have done in the recipe of panch dhan khichdi and toovar dal khichdi. See details of is white rice and parboiled rice good for you?