Pindi Chole, Punjabi Pindi Chana Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 330 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 342559 times
pindi chole | Punjabi pindi chana | Restaurant style pindi chole | with 29 amazing images.
Pindi Chole is a classic dish from the Punjabi repertoire, which is flavoured with a large assortment of spice powders and other ingredients like ginger, garlic, tomatoes and onions, which lend an irresistible flavour and aroma to it.
While it is common in most parts of the country to flavour chole with garam masala and chole masala, what makes the Punjabi pindi chana really different from the rest is the combination of kabuli chana with chana dal and the procedure of cooking both in water along with whole spices and tea leaves tied in a cloth bag.
This greatly boosts the colour and flavour of the Punjabi pindi chana, provided you follow the traditional procedure and patiently cook the chole mixture till the water dries out.
Notes and tips to make pindi chole. 1. For pressure cooking kabuli chana for the Pindi Chole recipe, take a deep bowl, add about 3/4 cup raw kabuli chana and cover them with enough water. Cover it with a lid and keep aside to soak for 8 hours. If you are in a hurry and do not have much time then you can soak them in hot water and cover it. It will be done in 4 hours. 2. Put the tea leaves, cinnamon and the black cardamom in a muslin cloth. All three ingredients will give a unique taste to the Kabuli chana when we pressure cook them. 3. Now we add the chole masala. Chole Masala is a unique blend of spices perfect for this incredible Pindi Chole.
Serve with Rotis, Parathas or Butter Naan and Onion Rings.
Enjoy how to make pindi chole | Punjabi pindi chana | Restaurant style pindi chole | with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- To make pindi chole, make a small potli by tying the cardamom, cinnamon and tea powder in a 2" x 2" piece of muslin cloth.
- Combine the kabuli chana, chana dal, potli, baking soda, salt and 2½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Discard the potli and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, ginger and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander powder, garam masala, chilli powder, chole masala, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the kabuli chana along with the water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 16 minutes or till the water dries out, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve the pindi chole hot.
Pindi Chole video by Tarla Dalal
Pindi Chole, Punjabi Pindi Chana Recipe recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.