Kabuli Chana Biryani
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 292 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 104907 times
kabuli chana biryani recipe | chole biryani | veg chana biryani | healthy chole biryani | baked kabuli chana biryani | with amazing 33 images.
kabuli chana biryani recipe also known as chole biryani is a unique blend of rice and pulses. Saffron-tinged rice is layered with a tongue-tickling kabuli chana gravy, covered with foil, and baked for a while till the flavours meld to make an awesome chole biryani one-dish meal.
veg chana biryani is way different from the usual vegetable biryani. The healthy chole biryani is protein packed as kabuli chana are rich in protein. It’s a perfect weeknight dinner option, you need no occasion or weekend to make healthy chana biryani.
Kabuli chana biryani falls under the category of one-dish meal . I cook this low calorie chole biryani frequently. It is my favourite brown rice based recipe. Brown rice combined and mixed with saffron milk and coriander, taste amazing and the mildly spiced kabuli chana gravy is finger licking good. This kabuli chana biryani is made with minimum and the most basic ingredients yet the outcome is too good and no compromise on the taste.
People think biryani recipes to be long and complicated but this chole biryani is hassle free to make and is super rich in flavour.
This kabuli chana biryani is so delicious that you just need to serve it with a cup of low-fat curd raita to make a tasty, healthy and satisfying meal. We have used brown rice in this kabuli chana biryani to boost the fibre content. You can go higher up the fibre path by tossing in some more chopped and boiled veggies. This will help to bring down cholesterol levels.
We would also advice you to maintain a small portion size of kabuli chana biryani, because it is always better to be satisfied with small portions of your favourite foods rather than having to totally avoid them.
Enjoy kabuli chana biryani recipe | chole biryani | veg chana biryani | healthy chole biryani | baked kabuli chana biryani | with detailed step by step recipe photos below.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and 1 tbsp of water and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and green chillies, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked kabuli chana and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the curds and mix gently. Keep aside.
- Combine the saffron strands and warm milk in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine the brown rice, coriander, little salt and saffron-milk mixture in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Put half the rice mixture in a baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Put the kabuli chana gravy evenly over it and spread it evenly.
- Finally put the remaining rice mixture and spread it evenly.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes.
- Serve the kabuli chana biryani hot.
Kabuli Chana Biryani recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 159 kcal|
|Protein|| 4.7 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 26.2 gm|
|Fat|| 3.9 gm|
|Fibre|| 5.2 gm|
|Calcium|| 67.7 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.