Hung low fat curds
To get hung low-fat curds, pour low-fat curds on a clean and dry muslin cloth, tie it into a bundle, and hang it on a hook or let is rest on a sieve till all the whey water drains out. After a while, press the bundle gently to make sure all the water is removed. What is left in the bundle is chakka or hung low-fat curds, which can be used to make delicious desserts like shrikhand. It can also be used to make healthy low-cal salad dressings. 1 cup of low-fat curds gives approx. 1/2 cup of hung low-fat curds.
Sour low fat curds
Also known as "Khatta Dahi." It can be made by adding more culture to the warm low-fat milk and keeping it out for a long time after it has set. Also, left over low-fat curd can be turned sour by keeping it out of refrigerator for 4 to 5 hours or you can buy readymade low-fat curds and keep it out in a warm place for 4 to 5 hours to sour. Once the curd becomes sour, store it in the refrigerator as keeping it outside will make it sourer to the point of becoming unpalatable.
• Vegetarian Low Fat Curd (Yogurt) Sandwiches, easy to make and a healthy snack.
• Use this low fat version of curds as an accompaniment to a main meal or in raitas, salad dressings etc. to enjoy a delightful low calorie fare. To make salad dressings, beat the curds using a whisk till smooth. Add flavourings of your choice to make the dips.
• Whisked low-fat curds combined with water will give you thin curds (butterrmilk) which can be used in preparation of kadhi etc.
How to store low fat curds, low cal dahi, low calorie curd, low fat yogurt
It will keep good for a 4-5 days in refrigerator covered. If purchased, check the expiry date.
Health benefits of low fat curds, low cal dahi, low calorie curd, low fat yogurt
• A Spoonful fulfils the daily requirement of the body and lowers the calorie intake too.
• It is very much a good source of calcium, vitamins and other minerals.
• A very good alternative for people who are Lactose Intolerant.
• Eat your way to fat-loss, being low in fat, Lowers LDL (bad cholesterol) and raises HDL Cholesterol (good cholesterol). Also, reduces the Risk of High Blood Pressure.