This category has been viewed 46330 times
Healthy Recipes > Home Remedies >
Home Remedies Diarrhoea recipes
Last Updated : Aug 01,2019
What is Diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea is referred to as frequent passage of watery stools which leads to the depletion of fluids and salts (sodium and potassium) that are responsible for maintaining the fluid balance in our body.
4 Reasons for Diarrhoea
|1. ||Food poisoning |
|2. ||Allergy to certain foods |
|3. ||Over eating |
|4. ||Overuse of laxatives (a medicine for relieving constipation) |
5 Remedies for Diarrhoea
1. Salt and sugar: The best way to replenish the lost fluids is to mix a tsp each of salt and sugar in a cup of water and sip it as many times as you can.
2. Fenugreek (methi) seeds: One tsp of fenugreek seeds should be swallowed (without chewing) with a cup of curds, buttermilk or water for immediate relief.
3. Mint (phudina): One tsp of mint leaves mixed with a tsp each of lime juice and honey should be given thrice daily for excellent results. You can also try the recipe of Lemon Phudina Paani or Minty Honey Lemon Drink
4. Apples: A cooked or a stewed apple taken everyday is a good medicine for diarrhea because it contains fibre. Fibre binds the stool together in diahrroea and helps control it. Try Apple Stew
5. Garlic (lehsun): Garlic is yet another natural remedy that fights diarrhoea and helps to kill parasites. It is a powerful and effective antibiotic and aids digestion too.
| ||Foods to be Avoided, Restricted when you have Diarrhoea |
|1. ||Spicy and oily foods |
|2. ||Confectionery, mithai and chocolates |
|3. ||Fermented foods like dhokla, bread, idlis, dosas, cheese etc. |
|4. ||Uncooked fruits and vegetables |
|5. ||Aerated drinks and alcohol |
|6. ||Pickles, canned and processed foods |
|7. ||Milk |
5 Tips for Healthy Diet During Diarrhoea
1. Consume small and light meals frequently instead of 3 big meals a day to replenish the lost nutrients.
2. Have plenty of fluids like lemon juice, fruit juices, vegetable soups (of carrot, spinach etc.), watery dals (of barley, moong dal etc.), lassi, coconut water etc. to make up for the loss of fluids. Rice Porridge , is also an excellent alternative to restore the fluid levels.
3. Have fruits like banana and apple as they are rich in potassium which helps to maintain the fluid balance in our body.
4. Try to restrict the consumption of milk and other dairy products in the beginning, as these are difficult to digest. If you must eat, curds is the best choice of all dairy products to digest.
5 Tips to Avoid Diarrhoea
1. Always wash your hands twice with soap before eating anything and dry your hands with a clean towel as wet hands carry a significant risk of infection.
2. Eat only fresh foods that have been well cooked. Raw foods like salads can irritate your system.
3. Avoid local drinking water in places where there is a high risk. Have packaged water instead.
4. Avoid consuming foods from food stalls on the street, though they may seem exciting, because they are unhygienic.
5. Avoid consuming chilled drinks. This does not cause infection but may lead to stomach cramps.
20 Apr 19
Moong Dal Khichdi, Gujarati Recipe by Tarla Dalal
Moong dal khichdi is very popular as a comfort food. It is sure to soothe you and make you feel better when you are off colour, especially if you are down with a fever or stomach ache!
Dal and rice cooked together with peppercorns and flavoured with ghee, it is a light and healthy meal despite t ....
23 Sep 13
Spinach and Mint Soup by Tarla Dalal
Soup, with a lovely taste and consistency. This soup is brimful of the goodness of spinach and spring onion greens, not to forget a dash of coriander and mint. The nutmeg and black pepper not only spike up the flavour, they also bring in their healing properties—making this a true herbal delight.
Rice Porridge by Tarla Dalal
Light on the stomach and comforting to the taste buds, this Rice Porridge, mildly-flavoured with cumin seeds, is ideal when you are feeling tired or unwell. It helps soothe your senses and top up your energy levels, slowly bringing you back to normal.
When the rice is cooked till soft, it is ea ....
Homemade Strained Apple Juice Recipe, Clear Fluid Recipe by Tarla Dalal
Sometimes the simplest of recipes turns out to be most handy! This Homemade Strained Apple Juice is one such.
The sweet and clear juice extracted from red apples is useful for those on a clear fluid diet, such as those recovering from surgery who cannot have normal food due to vomiting, nausea o ....
Homemade Strained Barley Water Recipe, Clear Fluid Recipe by Tarla Dalal
Homemade Strained Barley Water is often recommended as part of a clear fluid diet for those recovering from surgery as they have an intolerance for food.
It is also useful for those suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea as it provides them with water soluble nutrients.
Sipping on barley wate ....
29 Oct 17
Ges, Curd Rice Jain Recipe by Tarla Dalal
Ges is the Jain
version of curd rice, made with cooked rice and curds.
The cooked rice is combined with a mixture of curds and water, and cooked together till the right consistency is obtained. At this step, it is very important to cook on a slow flame, otherwis ....
Coconut Water with Coconut Meat by Tarla Dalal
This refreshing drink has a nice texture, which is quite unlike any juice you have ever had before.
Coconut Water with Coconut Meat has a pulpy texture, and when served chilled, it tingles your taste buds with the mildly-sweet but electrifying flavour, which is unique to coconut water.
Lemon Phudina Paani by Tarla Dalal
You know how bad diarrhea can be. You are exhausted and know you have to top up on fluids, but your taste buds feel dead and you don’t really feel up to drinking anything.
Here is a refreshing drink that can get you out of this terrible situation! Lemon Phudina Paani, with the tanginess of lem ....
Apple Magic, Lemony Apple Juice by Tarla Dalal
“An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, says the proverb and it's almost true. A dash of lime cuts through the sweetness perfectly and zips up the flavour of this Lemony Apple Juice.
Apples are a storehouse of fibre which helps to keep your digestive tract healthy. Apples contain an enzyme ca ....
Carrot Soup for Babies by Tarla Dalal
Carrot has a very baby-friendly flavour, which is sweet and soothing. That is what makes this nutritious and vividly-coloured Carrot Soup for babies a great hit with your little one.
With ample vitamins, this Gajar Soup for Babies will do wonders for your baby’s vision and skin, so it is an esse ....
Salt and Sugar Drink for Diarrhoea, Oral Rehydration Solution by Tarla Dalal
Although several oral rehydration solutions (ORS) are commercially available today, the quickest home remedy to regain electrolyte balance after a bout of diarrhoea is the Salt and Sugar Drink!
This simple solution has been used since generations and is quite time-tested and safe. The salt helps ....
How Methi Seeds Stops Diarrhoea by Tarla Dalal
Suffering from diarrhoea? Head straight to the masala box and try this simplest of simple home remedies using fenugreek seeds.
It is a tried and time-tested recipe that requires no extra effort or cost. It is as easy as placing the mentioned amount of fenugreek seeds on your tongue and gulping i ....
12 Apr 01
Diarrhoea by ektanshu
Highly effective in diarrhea.
24 Nov 16
Tambli, Home Remedy for Loose Motion by sandiya
This is the easy and main remedy for those who suffer from loose motion. Also a good appetite. Garlic is very good for heart and in arthritis.
15 Nov 05
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.