5 Indian Home Remedies for Anorexia + recipes
Indian Home Remedies for Anorexia | Indian Home Remedies for Anorexia recipes |
What's Anorexia? Anorexia is loss of appetite i.e. lack of interest in eating. This can cause weight loss and weakness.
What causes Anorexia?
•Emotional stress or depression
Indian Home Remedies for Anorexia.
There are certain foods, which are known to boost appetite. These natural remedies make use of foods found in most kitchens. Choose from the vast ingredients from Nature’s basket to overcome this issue.
1. Mint (phudina): 1 to 2 tbsp of mint juice daily in the morning helps to increase your appetite. Try this Minty Honey Lemon Drink.
Minty Honey Lemon Drink
2. Apple : The old saying "An apple a day, keeps the doctor away" stays true for anorexia individuals as apples aid in digestion and also boost your appetite. Apple in the form of salad is most advised by a nutritionist to one and all. But people with anorexia can drink to avoid chewing. May be sipping is more appetizing for them. Try simple combos like Lemony Apple Juice.
3. Ajwain(carom seeds) : Swallowing 1 tsp of ajwain with or without water, 3 to 4 times a day is another remedy to enhance your appetite.
4. Asafoetida (hing): Two pinches of asafoetida mixed in 2 tsp of ghee when taken before meals also helps to overcome anorexia.
5. Pineapple : Having a few pieces of pineapple sprinkled with salt and black pepper helps to restore lost appetite, especially for kids.
6. Lemon : Equal quantities of lemon and ginger juice should be consumed every day before meals to decrease anorexia. Alternatively try perking it up with little black salt to make ginger and lemon drink. Ginger helos to improve hunger, while lemon helps to cleans the system. The best is to have this 30 minnutes before meals.
Ginger Lemon Drink, for Weight Loss, Detox, Anorexia
5 Foods to be avoided for Anorexia
Foods to be Avoided for Anorexia
Tea and coffee
Aerated drinks and alcohol
Refined foods like refined flour, pasta, sugar and polished rice
Ready-to-eat foods like wafers, popcorn etc.
Canned and preserved foods
5 Practical Tips for Enhancing Appetite for Anorexia
1. Eat in a relaxed and calm environment and make it a pleasurable experience and not a "task" that has to be completed.
2. Have frequent and small snacks that are healthy and are high in protein and calories. Try a filling shake or a bowl of soup like Carrot and Spinach Soup, if you don't feel like eating much.
Carrot and Spinach Soup
3. Have variety in terms of colour and texture of food to be served. Present foods in a child-like fun way. Make parathas of different colours and shapes, decorate youe food well, serve in colourful plates and bowls. Experiment with ingredients in your kitchen shelves to create dishes like oats bhel and methi crispies.
4. Avoid drinking liquids at meal times as they can give a feeling of fullness causing you to eat less.
5. Have a walk before meals if possible. Fresh air often helps to perk up the appetite, as does a little activity.
See our Indian Home Remedies for Anorexia and other Indian home remedy articles below.
Indian home remedies for most ailments
Indian home remedies for common cough and cold