by Tarla Dalal
Added to 112 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 103478 times
Peshawar is a city situated along the eastern end of the khyber pass. It is a major center of arts and culture and is home to the delicious peshawari food.
Punjabi food is in many ways influenced by peshawari style of cooking. Peshawari chole is just one of the many delicious dishes from the punjab, and as the name suggests, has a hint of peshawari style of cooking.
Spicy and 'chatpata', this dish needs some prior planning as the chick peas require soaking for at least 6 hours. Chana masala added to this dish is readily available at most provision stores and imparts that special flavour.
Served with hot Baturas , it makes an ideal sunday lunch . You could also top Aloo Tikkis or Samosas with this delicious subzi and relish it as a snack .
Add your private note
Peshawari Chole recipe - How to make Peshawari Chole
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 servings
- Clean, wash and soak the kabuli chana and chana dal overnight or for 6-8 hours.
- Drain, wash again, add 2 cups of water, big cardamom, cinnamon and teabags and pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles or until the chana is well cooked. .
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Strain and reserve the liquid but discard the tea bag. Keep the kabuli chana liquid aside separately.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent, while stirring continoulsy.
- Add the pomegranate powder and cook, till the onions turn dark brown while stirring continuously.
- Add the ginger, green chillies , tomatoes and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked kabuli chana- chana dal, chole masala, the reserved liquid and salt and mix gently.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder and garam masala and sauté till the tomatoes are cooked and the mixture leaves oil.
- Serve hot with bhaturas.
Chole (Peshawari Chole) Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.