Dal Moghlai ( Low Cholesterol Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 375 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 72842 times
If you wish to pamper yourself, there is no better way than to cook yourself some luxuriant Moghlai food! Moghlai cuisine is generally quite rich, with abundant use of spices and dairy products like ghee, cream and butter.
However, we have given the classic Dal Moghlai a healthy twist, so that you can pamper yourself without any guilt.
This wonderfully healthy recipe hardly uses any fat, and lets you enjoy the richness of Moghlai food and the goodness of toovar and chana dal without being burdened by extra calories.
Both dals are rich in protein and fibre, while being heart and diabetic friendly too. Additionally, toovar dal is rich in folic acid and is a great choice for pregnant women to include in their daily diet.
Chana dal has a good amount of potassium and low amount of sodium, which makes it effective in regulating blood pressure.
Find out more about the health benefits of toovar dal and chana dal.
The Dal Moghlai also uses veggies, which further boost the nutrition profile and add to the taste too. Enjoy this yummy dal hot and fresh!
- To make dal moghlai,clean, wash and soak the dals for about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Add the tomatoes, bottle gourd, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water and pressure cook till the dals are tender.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the garlic, green chillies, ginger and onions and sauté till the onions turn golden brown in colour. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of water over it to prevent the onions from burning.
- Add the cooked dal mixture and 1 cup of water and bring to boil.
- Serve dal moghlai hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.