10 Uses of Ajwain (Carom Seeds)
Ajwain is an herb belonging to the cumin and parsley family that are tiny, erect and oval-shaped with a sharp and penetrating taste. It has been used since ancient times for its culinary, aromatic and medicinal properties.
Mooli ki Subzi
1. Due to the strong aroma and distinctive taste of ajwain it is used as part of the tadka for many dishes, especially dals and subzis like Mooli ki Subzi and Rangoon na vaal.
Fafda Recipe, Gujarati Fafda, Crispy Besan Snack
2. Carom seeds are the popular choice of seeds added to the dough and batter of various street food items and snacks, the most common one of which is Samosa.
It is also added to the batter of Fafda, which has a distinct ajwain taste, paneer pakodas and bhajiyas.
Paneer Pakoda, Punjabi Paneer Pakora Recipe
3. You can also add a little ajwain when preparing the dough for paratha and rotis as it imparts a wonderful, penetrating aroma when the paratha roasts on the Tava. Missi roti is a Rajasthani roti typically known for its significant use of ajwain and is eaten with a launji.
Missi Roti, Rajasthani Missi Roti
4. Ajwain is a popular choice to add to the doughs of snacks like papdis and mathri.
It is also added to a maize flour dough that is used to make nachos and tacos.
5. It gives a very different taste when added to marinades as well. You can marinate any vegetable in a batter that has Ajwain in it, from paneer to broccoli or baby corn.
Paneer Amritsari Tikka ( Kebabs and Tikkis Recipe)
6. Ajwain is known for its medicinal properties as well. It is either had plain or boiled along with water to help with digestion, cold and stomach ache.
Ajwain helps reduce the flatulence causing effect of beans.
Ajwain and Turmeric Milk
7. It can be combined with jaggery and had to help cure a cough.
8. It forms a part of the after meal snack, Mukhwaas, as well. This is used as a mouth freshener and a digestive aid.
9. It is also added to pickles for its preservative qualities.
Tamatar ki Chutney, Indian Tomato Chutney for Chaats
10. Another unique way to use carom seeds is to add it to tomato based chutneys and pizza and pasta sauces. This gives a great twist to the original.
To know about Recipes using Carom Seeds, check out our collection.