Low Calorie Sev Puri
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 344 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30150 times
Chaat , topped with crunchy vegetables, laced with spice powders and pepped up with lime and coriander always feels light and refreshing, but is laden with hidden calories, especially in the deep-fried savouries it contains.
Here is a lighter version of the ever popular Sev Puri , made using Baked Papdis topped with spicy rajma topping and nourishing tamato chutney. You can stock up a larger batch of baked papdis, sev and tomato chutney, to whip up not just Low Calorie Sev Puri but also other favourite chaats any time you are hungry.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a firm dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 24 equal portions and roll each portion into a 37 mm. (1½”) diameter circle.
- Prick them using a fork at regular intervals.
- Grease a baking tray with oil and bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes, turning them once after 5 minutes.
- Store in an air-tight container till use.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the carom seeds and allow them to crackle.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the fresh tomato pulp, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. .
- Add the chilli powder, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Keep aside.
- Just before serving, arrange 6 papdis on a serving plate.
- Top each papadi with ½ tbsp of the rajma topping, ½ tsp of onions and ½ tsp of tomato chutney.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp of sev over each papdi.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 to make 3 more plates.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
- Handy tip:
- 6 to 7 big tomatoes when blanched, peeled, deseeded, chopped and blend in a mixer will yield approx. 1¼ cups of fresh tomato pulp.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per plate
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.