Last Updated : Feb 05,2020
Viewed 50561 times
What is Chaat masala? Chaat masala is a mix of hot and tangy spices. ‘Chaat' means 'to lick' and 'masala' means spice in Hindi. So, generally the word chaat is used for a collection of spicy and savoury snacks that are lip-smacking, so to speak.
The abundance of asafoetida, mango powder and black salt distinguish chaat masala from other masalas, giving the blend a sourness that makes it a welcome accompaniment to fresh fruit and other snacks.
How to Select • You can make this masala at home and store it in a jar.
• It is also available readymade, in sachets and bottles, and is generally quite good.
• Check the ingredients to make sure it does not contain any unwanted additives.
• Rarely, some brands of chaat masala include garlic, so if you do not wish to include garlic check for that too in the ingredients list.
• Also, ensure the package is tightly sealed and well within the use-by date.
12 Uses of Chaat Masala Chaat masala is a blend of spices like cumin, asafoetida, black salt and amchoor that make the masala tangy as well as a little spicy. It is a unique blend in itself and is used all over the Indian subcontinent in a variety of dishes!
1. As the name suggests, this masala is used the most in chaats, one of India's most famous street foods. It can be used in Aloo chaat, over dahi puri and even in Bhel. This masala is the reason for a slight tanginess in all chaats.
2. Chaat masala is sprinkled generously over fruit chaats and vegetable salads along with a squeeze of lemon to get that tanginess which complements the sweetness of the fruits.
3. The masala mix is added to many fruit juices and drinks as a refresher. Sprinkle some over pineapple juice or in fresh lime soda to make the most use of it.
For complete uses of Chaat masala read this article.
How to Store • Store it in an airtight jar in a cool and dry place away from moisture.
• It will keep well for months, even a year.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.