baked sev recipe | baked sev for chaats, snacks | healthy baked sev |
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 123 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 125350 times
baked sev recipe | baked sev for chaats, snacks | healthy baked sev | with 15 amazing images.
baked sev is the answer to make Indian chaats healthier. Use baked sev as topping for chaats like bhel puri, sev puri or snacks like amiri khaman and poha.
Most Indian households use deep fried sev for sabzi, chaat and snacks. We now show you how to make baked sev with step by step photos.
baked sev recipe is made of besan (bengal gram flour), haldi, hing, lemon juice, sugar and oil. To make healthy baked sev, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well and knead into a semi-soft dough, using approx. 2 tbsp of water. Shape the dough into a cylindrical roll, fill the dough into the “sev press” and press out thin strands onto a greased baking tray. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 8 to 10 minutes or till baked sev turns light brown in colour. Cool, store baked sev in an air-tight container and use as required.
See why we call this healthy baked sev recipe? Made mainly from besan and the recipe is not deep fried but baked. Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too.
Use baked sev as a topping for Bhel Puri, Low Calorie Sev Puri and sev tamatar nu shaak.
Enjoy baked sev recipe | baked sev for chaats, snacks | healthy baked sev | with step by step photos below.
- To make baked sev, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well and knead into a semi-soft dough, using approx. 2 tbsp of water.
- Shape the dough into a cylindrical roll, fill the dough into the “sev press” and press out thin strands onto a greased baking tray.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 8 to 10 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour.
- Cool the baked sev and store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
- Ensure you use a sev press plate with very thin holes so the sev bakes faster and is crisper.
- If your baking tray is small, make this recipe in 2 batches.
Baked Sev (Low Calorie) Video by Tarla Dalal
Baked Sev recipe with step by step photos
To prepare the dough of baked sev recipe | baked sev for chaats, snacks | healthy baked sev | place a sieve on a deep bowl.
Place the besan aka gram flour and pass it through the sieve.
Add turmeric powder and hing.
Add lemon juice. It helps in providing crispiness to our baked sev.
Add powdered sugar to balance the flavour since we have added lemon juice.
Add oil. This provides a crumbly texture to the besan sev. This being a healthy recipe we are relying on less quantity of fat in the form of oil. Normally the addition of a generous amount of fat (moyen) helps in making crispy sev.
Add salt to taste. To perk up the flavor, to make it spicy, you can add a little red chilli powder and black pepper powder.
Combine all the ingredients and mix well to form a dough by adding water gradually. Add approx. 2 tbsp of water.
Knead into a semi-soft dough. While kneading the dough if you feel that the dough is too sticky, grease your hands with little oil and continue kneading. This will prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.
To prepare healthy baked sev, shape the dough into a cylindrical roll. Before adding the dough in sev press taste for seasoning and adjust the flavors as per your preference.
Take a sevai machine, fit the mold with very thin holes so the sev bakes faster and is crisper.
Grease the “sev press" mold with little oil. Fill the dough into the “sev press”.
Press it properly and cover it with the lid.
Press out thin strands onto a greased baking tray. If the dough is too firm, it will break while forming the sev. In that case, take the dough out of the chakli press, add a tablespoon of water at a time and knead again.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (400°F) for 8 to 10 minutes or till baked sev | baked sev for chaats, snacks | healthy baked sev | turns light brown in colour. If your baking tray is small, make this recipe in 2 batches. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Settings for each oven is different so you may require more or less time, start checking the oven once you see little browning.
Break the baked sev | baked sev for chaats, snacks | healthy baked sev | into pieces between your palms.
Cool the baked sev and store in an air-tight container.
Q. The strings stick together and where they overlap, they are impossible to separate so I had a clump of sev?
While pressing the sev press, make sure you put in a single row. Allow to bake completely, light brown. The colour is very important here.
Baked sev is rich in Folic Acid, Phosphorus, Fiber, Protein, Magnesium.
Serving size for an individual is 4 tablespoons of baked sev as a snack.
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B9): Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy. Folic acid rich Indian foods (kabuli chana, chana dal, yellow moong dal, urad dal, tooval dal, til ) 20% of RDA.
- Phosphorus : Phosphorus works closely with calcium to build bones. 16% of RDA.
- Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains. 16% of RDA.
- Protein : Protein is required for the managing the wear and tear of all cells of the body. Have protein rich Indian foods like paneer, curd, Greek yoghurt, tofu, almonds, sprouts, chana, rajma, chick peas, quinoa, buckwheat ). 12% of RDA.
- Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. It helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium. % of RDA. magnesium rich Indian foods like leafy vegetables (palak, broccoli, kale), pulses ( rajma, chawli, moong ), nuts (walnuts, almonds) , cereals ( jowar, bajra, whole wheat flour, dalia).12 % of RDA.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.