Methi ki Launji
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 132 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 40388 times
Roll a spoonful of the Methi ki Launji in your mouth, and you can recognise all the major taste categories in it – bitter, sweet and spicy! You are sure to enjoy the delicate balance of flavours in this traditional preparation of soaked methi seeds, perked up with spices and powders, and balanced with sweet ingredients like jaggery and raisins. While soaked fenugreek seeds are used in this recipe, you can even opt to use sprouted ones, which makes the launji less bitter. You can savour the Methi ki Launji with rotis, khakhras or even rice, although the Rajasthanis typically relish it with hot puris or parathas.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, red chillies, cloves and cinnamon and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the soaked and drained fenugreek seeds, 1 cup of water, jaggery, sugar, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, raisins, dried mango powder, and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Switch on the flame and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame and allow it to cool completely.
- Serve with rotis or khakhras or rice.
- This launji stays fresh upto 2 weeks when refrigerated.
Nutrient values per tbsp
|Vitamin A||12.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.