Added to 1002 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 230607 times
jalebi recipe | crispy homemade jalebi | halwai style Indian jalebi | instant jalebi (without fermentation) | with 28 amazing images.
jalebi recipe | crispy homemade jalebi | halwai style Indian jalebi | instant jalebi (without fermentation) is a traditional Indian mithai made and served during festivals and weddings. Learn how to make crispy homemade jalebi.
This famous crispy homemade jalebi features on a Gujarati breakfast, especially on Sunday morning. The combo of Jalebi with ganthias and Masala Chai Or Masala Tea is a meal to be devoured with family and friends. Also served as a dessert jalebi is often served topped with Rabdi. This is irresistible too!
To make jalebi, first make the batter. Combine the yeast with 2 tbsp of warm water in a bowl and keep aside for 5 to 7 minutes. Combine this yeast mixture with the plain flour in a bowl and mix well. Add 5 tbsp of water if required to make a thick batter and cover and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes. Next make sugar syrup. Combine the sugar and 1 cup of water in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a high flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the sugar syrup is of 1 thread consistency. Combine the saffron strands, saffron colour and 2 tsp of sugar syrup in a bowl and add to the sugar syrup and mix well. Keep aside. Then select a plastic bottle with a small hole in the lid and fill with the batter. Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and press the bottle to form a coil shaped jalebi, starting from the inside to the outside. Deep-fry till the jalebis turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Place the fried jalebis into the warm syrup. Leave for 2 minutes or till they soak the sugar syrup well and then remove from the sugar syrup. Serve immediately garnished with cardamom powder, almond slivers and pistachio slivers.
Who can resist the temptation of fresh, deep-fried jalebis garnished with aromatic saffron strands? For all of you halwai style Indian jalebi fans, here is a quick and tasty version that can be prepared without long hours of fermentation.
This instant jalebi (without fermentation) is made in very less time as compared to the authentic recipe which needs overnight fermentation. This is a boon for those who want to try traditional mithais without sweating too much in the kitchen. A few tips to be kept in mind and you will be all set for a presentable Indian sweet and to gather all the applause.
Tips for jalebi. 1. To make the batter add water gradually. The amount of water usually depends on the quality of the flour. The batter has to be thick. 2. Keep a close watch while making sugar syrup. It should be 1 thread consistency. Even a little extra cooking of the syrup might make it hard. 3. Do not leave the jalebi in the sugar syrup for too long to avoid it from becoming over sweet and soggy.
Learn to make jalebi recipe | crispy homemade jalebi | halwai style Indian jalebi | instant jalebi (without fermentation) | with step by step photos and video below.
- Combine the citric acid and 1 cup warm water in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine the plain flour, besan and the citric acid-warm water mixture in a deep aluminium bowl and mix very well using your hands for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover it with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 8 hours.
- Once fermented, mix very well using your hands.
- Combine the saffron and 1 tsp of warm water in a small bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Combine the sugar and 1 1/3 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a high flame for 7 minutes.
- Add half of the saffron-water mixture into the sugar syrup and mix well. Keep aside.
- Put the remaining saffron-water mixture in the batter and mix well.
- Put the ghee in a cast iron jalebi vessel or in a broad non-stick pan and heat it till very hot.
- Put a jalebi cloth inside a deep bowl and pour the batter into it.
- Start piping the batter into the hot ghee to form coil shaped jalebis and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides turning them over midway using tongs. Do not deep-fry too many at a time.
- Immediately put the jalebis in the sugar syrup for 1 minute.
- Remove them on plate, sprinkle little cardamom powder and little mixed nuts over the jalebis.
- Repeat steps 11 to 13 to make more jalebis.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per jalebi
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.