12 Uses of Chaat Masala
Chaat masala is a blend of spices like cumin, asafoetida, black salt and amchoor that make the masala tangy as well as a little spicy. It is a unique blend in itself and is used all over the Indian subcontinent in a variety of dishes!
1. As the name suggests, this masala is used the most in chaats, one of India's most famous street foods. It can be used in Aloo chaat, over dahi puri and even in Bhel. This masala is the reason for a slight tanginess in all chaats.
Bhel Puri, Bhel Puri Chaat Recipe
2. Chaat masala is sprinkled generously over fruit chaats and vegetable salads along with a squeeze of lemon to get that tanginess which complements the sweetness of the fruits.
Fruit Chaat Indian Fruit Chaat Recipe
3. The masala mix is added to many fruit juices and drinks as a refresher. Sprinkle some over pineapple juice or in fresh lime soda to make the most use of it.
Pineapple Masala Drink
4. Chaat masala adds a lot of flavor to yogurt based dishes. As yogurt is one of the main side dishes in India, in its two forms – Raita and Buttermilk, you can sprinkle it over both. Masala Chaas or Salted Lassi is served at every restaurant and dhaba that serves Indian food.
Masala Chaas Recipe, Spicy Buttermilk Recipe
5. To impart a tangy taste to your pakodas – potato, banana or onion, just sprinkle a little chaat masala on the hot pakodas and eat them!
Chatpata Rings, Kids Short Break Jar Snack
6. Along with jeera powder, chaat masala is also sprinkled over ghee khakhra and eaten as a snack in Gujarati households. It is also sprinkled over Masala papad or a side of onions in Punjabi restaurants.
Masala Papad ( Zero Oil Dal and Chawal)
7. Chaat masala is used in healthy salads as well. A simple serving of boiled sprouts with different vegetables and sprinkling of chaatmasala does not need anything else!
8. Apart from chaats, it is also a famously added to other street foods like dosas, frankies and toast sandwiches.
Vegetable Cheese Grilled Sandwich
9. Chaat masala is also added to various subzis like karela subzi to counter the bitterness or a simple paneer subzi to marinate the paneer in.
Paneer Tikka Masala
10. In Punjabi food, chaat masala is used in Chole or even to prepare the stuffing of various parathas like Aloo parathas.
Aloo Paratha, Punjabi Aloo Paratha Recipe
11. Chaat masala is put on different types of kebabs and tikkas as well, whether vegetarian or not. Besides, it is it utilized in tandoori food too.
Mushroom and Capsicum Tikka
12. A different way to utilize this masala is to sprinkle it over some fruit ice-creams and desserts like guava ice cream. Gola, a crushed ice treat, is a typically served with different flavored syrups poured over it along with chaat masala.
To know about Recipes using Chaat Masala, check out our collection.