Chole, Punjabi Chole Masala, Chole Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 497 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 215990 times
Who can resist the masaledar taste and tempting aroma of Chole? A popular chaat famous all across the country, and now all over the globe, Chole features boiled white chickpeas flavoured with a wide range of spice powders, notably a special Chole Masala, along with onions, ginger and garlic.
Another special aspect of this famous road-side food is the cooking of the chana with tea, to give a rich flavour and colour to it. Serve hot, topped with sev, chopped onions, tomatoes, or other garnishes of your choice.
- Combine the kabuli chana, salt, tea bag and enough water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Discard the tea bag and drain the kabuli chana. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, ginger and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minute or till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the chole masala, chilli powder, dried mango powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the kabuli chana, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Mash the kabuli chana once lightly with a help of a masher.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.