Whole Wheat Bread, Whole Wheat Bread Loaf Using Instant Dry Yeast
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 119 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 67797 times
Whole Wheat Bread, apart from being healthier than its refined flour counterpart, also has a rustic aroma and flavour, which are thoroughly enjoyable. Freshly-baked Whole Wheat Bread is a delight to bite into, for babies, toddlers, children and adults too!
You can use olive oil instead of butter to get a more authentic aroma, but if that is not available you can always bake it with regular soft butter. Ensure that the water to which you add the yeast is luke warm. If it is too hot or cold, the yeast will not get activated, and your bread will not have the proper texture. Once baked and sliced, serve the bread the way your child likes it – toasted or sandwiched, with grated veggies, cheese, butter and/or homemade jam .
You can transform the Whole Wheat Bread to make delicious sandwiches and toasts like Alfa Sprouts, Tomatoes and Basil Sandwich , Baked Bread Rolls , Baked Corn Open Toast , Cabbage and Carrot Double Decker Sandwich , Cheesy Onion and Chilli Toast , Mushroom and Tomato Snack and many more.
- Combine the yeast, sugar and ¼ cup of warm water in a bowl, cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, salt and yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough warm water.
- Add the olive oil and knead very well till the dough is smooth.
- Shape the dough into a proper round using both your hands while tucking the edges at the bottom.
- Cover it with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or till the dough is double in size.
- Sprinkle the whole wheat flour over a smooth, flat surface, place the dough over it and knead it very well using both your hands. If the dough is getting sticky while kneading, then sprinkle little whole wheat flour as required.
- Tap the dough with your fingers and spread it to make a 250mm. X 200 mm. (10” x 8”) diameter oval shape.
- Roll the dough to make a 200 mm. (8”) long cylindrical roll and place it in a greased bread loaf tin. Cover it with a damp muslin cloth and again keep aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 180°c (360°f) and bake it for 30 minutes.
- Keep the bread loaf aside to cool slightly.
- De-mould the bread loaf, brush it with butter and keep aside to cool completely.
- Once the bread loaf has cooled completely, cut it into 13 mm. ( ½“) bread slices.
- Serve immediately or use as required.
Nutrient values per slice
|Vitamin A||51.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.