Dry Karela Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 55 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 35456 times
An exciting mixture of sweetness, tanginess and spiciness makes this Dry Karela Subzi a fabulous treat for your palate.
What makes this subzi so enjoyable is the perfect way in which the bitter gourd is prepared – right from marinating in salt, to washing it with water after cooking it on a tava.
This gives it a very nice mouth-feel and also removes the bitterness to a great extent.
Once the bitter gourd is ready, it is cooked with a range of taste-enhancing ingredients such as onions, tomatoes, spicy pastes and curds, which lend it an awesome aroma and irresistible taste.
Since the karela is marinated in salt, we have not added more salt later while cooking it, but if you would like a little more salt, feel free to add it.
If you are one who loves karelas then you must also try our other recipes like the Masala Karela and the Crispy Karela .
- Scoop the bitter gourd halves using a spoon or your fingers.
- Slice them thinly, put them in a bowl, add a little salt and toss well. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the excess water and discard the water.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) , place the squeezed karela on it, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 8 minutes, while tossing occasionally.
- Wash the karela slices and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the curds, jaggery, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the green chilli paste, garlic paste, ginger paste, chilli powder and turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the karela slices, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||324.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||121 mg|
|Folic Acid||9.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.