Palak Paneer, How To Make Homemade Palak Paneer Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Palak Paneer, How To Make Homemade Palak Paneer Recipe in Hindi)
પાલક પનીર ની રેસીપી
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Palak Paneer, How To Make Homemade Palak Paneer Recipe in Gujarati)
Added to 376 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 1544720 times
Many of the best loved vegetarian Punjabi dishes are the ones where paneer is combined with a vegetable. Paneer is widely used and very popular in Punjab due to the abundance of milk and milk products in the area.
This combination of spinach and paneer is not only highly nutritious, but is a splendid blend of taste, texture and flavour. The paneer in this recipe has been fried to add some extra flavour. You can however add the paneer pieces without frying if required.
Serve with rotis or parathas .
- Blanch the spinach in a vesselful of boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain, refresh with cold water and keep aside to cool for sometime.
- Blend in a mixer to a smooth purée and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai , add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till they turn translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, green chillies and turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp and sauté till the mixture leaves oil, while stirring continuously.
- Add the spinach purée and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the salt, garam masala and fresh cream and mix well.
- Add the paneer, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- 4 bunches of spinach will approximately yield 10 cups of chopped spinach.
Palak Paneer Video by Tarla Dalal's Team
Palak Paneer, How To Make Homemade Palak Paneer Recipe recipe with step by step photos
To make Palak Paneer, we will take approximately 4 bunches of spinach.
Remove the hard stems of the leaves by chopping them off.
Place the leaves in a colander and wash them thoroughly under running water to get rid of all the dirt.
Now place the spinach on a clean, dry surface and chop it. You will get about 10 cups of chopped spinach.
Boil enough water in a deep non-stick pan.
Once the water is hot, add the spinach to it.
Blanch the spinach for 2 to 3 minutes. If you boil the spinach for long, the spinach will lose its color and the Palak Paneer gravy will come out dark.
Drain the spinach using a strainer.
Run the strainer below cold water to refresh the spinach. This stops the cooking process of the spinach. It is a very important step in the Palak Paneer Recipe as you do not want to overcook the spinach.
Once cooled slightly, add the spinach to a mixer jar.
Blend the spinach to a smooth purée and keep aside. This should be the consistency. Keep aside.
Heat the oil in a kadhai or a deep non-stick pan.
Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till they turn translucent.
Now add the garlic to this.
With it also add the ginger. If you are Jain, you can avoid adding onion, garlic and ginger in the Palak Paneer Recipe.
Also add the green chillies. Here the chillies are finely chopped, but you can also add green chilli paste if you have that readymade. You can buy the paste form a store or make Green chilli paste at home.
Finally add the turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the tomato pulp and sauté till the mixture leaves oil, while stirring continuously. When the pulp and onions are cooked well, there will be a layer of oil that will form around the mixture when the moisture evaporates. You can refer to this recipe to make fresh tomato pulp at home.
Now add the spinach purée and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
Now add the salt.
Also add the garam masala. This gives a nice, earthy taste to the Palak Paneer. We do not add the garam masala in the beginning because adding it earlier would make it bitter.
Finally add the fresh cream to the Palak Paneer and mix well. Do not cook the cream too much as there are chances it might split.
Add the paneer, mix gently and cook Palak Paneer on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes.
Serve the Palak Paneer hot alongside garlic naan.
If you like palak paneer, then try check our collection of paneer recipes and check our popular paneer recipes below
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.