11 Uses of Gavarfali
uses of guar in Indian cooking. uses of gavarfali. Gavarfali, better known as Guar in India, is a legume that is annual in nature which is the source of Guar gum. It is native to India and Pakistan, mostly found in Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh but due to its rapid demand, it is being produced in different parts of the world as well. The younger vegetables are harvested to be used as vegetables while the matured ones are used to produce guar gum.
1. Gavarfali is the source of Guar Gum, a fine powder made from matured seeds of the gavarfali that is used as a thickener and stabilizer in the food industry.
2. Cluster beans are one of the best source of protein especially during pregnancy. Together with masoor dal is the best combination for pregnant women to have, for example, Gavar aur Masoor Dal.
3. The younger beans are cooked and enjoyed as food. Guar is a very popular Indian vegetable and is had as a dry or gravy subzi, especially in Rajasthan. Guar subzi enjoys simple flavors that are used in everyday Indian cooking like cumin, garlic, ginger and hing.
4. Cluster beans are also enjoyed in curries and dals. Combine with different vegetables in Katti Mitti Dal or with other lentils to make a flavorful Mixed Dal.
5. Gavarfali are often cooked like green beans are cooked. Gavarfali are stringed and chopped into small pieces, then boiled in water till soft and added to tempered oil along with some ground spices. This curry is finally finished with a good amount of scraped coconut.
6. Gavar is one of the most important ingredients of a traditional Sindhi Kadhi. Gavarfali is cooked in a flavorful, tangy gravy and served alongside hot steamed rice. It is also used in a Gavar Sambar, which is a delicacy in Karnataka. In the south it is also used to make a curry called kothavarengai pachadi.
7. They are very good for diabetics and also contain high dietary fiber. Hence they are included in a diabetic person's diet.
8. Fried Gavarfali is a delicious, crunchy snack that is eaten alongside roti and subzi. For this, the gavarfali is dried in the sun, the deep fried and then tossed in masalas.
9. Gavarfali Dhokli is a mouth-watering Indian recipe in which the beans are served with wheat dumplings. This typical Gujarati recipe
10. Cluster beans can also be turned into a fabulous pickle (achaar) by pickling it in a jar with lemon juice and methi seeds in the sun.
11. An innovative way to use gavarfali is to turn it into a chutney with tamarind, chillies, chana dal, curry leaves and mustard seeds. This can be had with parathas and rice and as well.
12. They can be cooked just like green beans and be used in simple stir fries.
To know about Recipes using Cluster Beans, check out our collection.