Mixed Vegetable Dal
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 18 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25993 times
This irresistible Mixed Vegetable Dal is a chock-full of nutritious vegetables like kaddu, gavarfali and baingan along with a combination of toovar and masoor dals, which makes a wholesome meal in its own right. Instead of cooking the vegetables in oddles of oil, we have cooked them in water to reduce the use of oil, and to retain more of the nutrients. The amount of jaggery used in this recipe is also less as compared to other sweet dals.
- Combine the tamarind, jaggery and ¼ cup of water in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Strain the mixture using a strainer and keep aside.
- Combine the toovar and masoor dals along with 3½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Allow it to cool slightly, whisk well using a hand blender and keep aside.
- Combine the red pumpkin, brinjal, cluster beans, onions and 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the vegetables turn soft, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the mustard seeds, cloves, cinnamon, kashmiri red chilli and chilli powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the asafoetida, cooked dals, cooked vegetables, tamarind-jaggery mixture, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.