Panchkuti Dal, Panchratan Dal, Dal Made with 5 Pulses
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Panchkuti Dal, Panchratan Dal, Dal Made with 5 Pulses in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Panchkuti Dal, Panchratan Dal, Dal Made with 5 Pulses in Gujarati)
Added to 421 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 62044 times
Traditional and wholesome are the words that describe this tasty dal most aptly. As the name suggests, Panchkuti Dal features a combo of five pulses, which gives it a unique texture, flavour and aroma.
You will find that this dal does not get mushy, mainly because of the blend of many pulses with varied textures. With a tempering of whole spices and seeds, and a team of ingredients like tomatoes, green chillies and ginger to add to the flavour, this dal becomes a full-fledged side-dish, which transforms even simple roti into a delicacy!
Serve it hot with rotis , rice and a sukhi subzi to make a homely and satisfying meal.
- Wash all the dals and soak in enough water for 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine the soaked dals with 1/2 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, dry kashmiri chilli and curry leaves, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, coriander and green chillies, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add the prepared cooked dal, salt and lemon juice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Panchkuti Dal Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.