Dal Fry ( Microwave Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 70 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 163866 times
Dal fry is literally every where! you will find it on every restaurant menu, in most buffets, in wedding spreads, parties and in day-to-day meals. That is how versatile and common this north indian recipe is. Devoid of too many spices, this dal tastes very natural though not bland or raw. In short, it tastes just perfect. However, most people are so engrossed in the final product that they do not even realise that it is comprised of an uncommon combination of dals – chana dal and masoor dal. Dal fry is a good fit for microwave cooking, as it can be made much faster and easier.
- Combine the masoor dal and chana dal in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute, without using water.
- Blend the dals in a mixer to a coarse paste, without using water.
- Transfer the powder to the same microwave safe bowl, add 2½ cups of water and microwave on high for 14 minutes, while stirring once every 5 minutes.
- Put 1 tbsp of butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds
- Add the cumin seeds and onions, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, green chillies, ginger, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add the boiled dal, coriander and the remaining 1 tbsp of butter, mix well and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.