by Tarla Dalal
Added to 20 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 42650 times
Most Maharashtrian Subzis are made using lots of coconut paste. Here's a delicious but healthy exception that uses only 2 tablespoons of coconut, thereby making it low in calories and fat.
Sprouting Vaal helps increase its vitamin and mineral content and makes it easily digestible too.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the all the ingredients and dry roast while stirring continuously till the coconut turns brown.
- Cool, add 2 tablespoons of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Wash and drain the vaal and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Allow the sream to escape and then drain and keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick kadhai on a medium flame and when hot, add the cinnamon, bayleaf, clove, asafoetida and mustard seeds and dry roast for about 30 seconds.
- Add the vaal, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and salt and continue dry roasting for 5 minutes while stirring continuously. Sprinkle a little water if required.
- Add the ground paste, sugar and 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.