Kerala Style Tomato Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 71 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 57193 times
This dal brings in a distinct south Indian flavor to the table. Toovar dal is cooked with a ground paste of coconut, red chilies and jeera, while tomatoes and jaggery enhance the flavor. Don’t forget to temper the dal with curry leaves and mustard seeds. Tastes awesome with steamed rice!
- Clean, wash and soak the dal in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dal, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk well, add the green chillies, tomatoes, jaggery, prepared paste and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the dry red chilli and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add this tempering to the prepared dal and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.