Gavar Aur Masoor ki Dal
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 11 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4429 times
The intelligent combination of gavar and masoor gives a dal that brims with flavour and overflows with nutrition! Onions and tomatoes turn out to be effective helpers in any dal recipe, improving the texture and flavour of the dish. A simple but smart tempering also works in favour of this dal, improving its aroma and taste manifold.
This Gavar aur Masoor ki Dal is a wonderful dish to have during pregnancy because cluster beans is one of the best sources of fibre amongst vegetables. Combine this tasty dish with hot phulkas to make a healthy and satiating meal. For a change, you can replace masoor dal with yellow moong dal also, and follow the same recipe.
- Combine the masoor dal and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add 1½ cups of water and mix well using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cluster beans, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup of water and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked masoor dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.