Paneer Butter Masala
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 150 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 94010 times
One of the first items that we all tend to look for in a restaurant menu, the Paneer Butter Masala fits all descriptions - classic, all-time favourite, droolworthy, best of the best!
Yes, this restaurant-style Punjabi gravy is a necessary addition to your culinary skillset, and it is quite easy and quick too.
Paneer Butter Masala is a classic Indian recipe of cottage cheese in a rich and spicy tomato gravy. You can also make a Jain version without onion or garlic. Paneer Butter Masala is best had with parathas or phulkas. As it simmers in your kitchen, the aroma fills the house and brings the family to the table at once!
Try other recipes like Badami Paneer or Baingan Bharta.
- Heat ½ tbsp of butter and oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions, cloves, cardamom and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cashewnuts, coriander powder and chilli powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch of the flame and cool slightly, transfer to a mixer, add ¼ cup of water and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of butter in a deep non-stick pan, add the bayleaf, ginger paste and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato-onion purée, milk, kashmiri red chilli powder, garam masala and salt mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the fresh cream and dried fenugreek leaves, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the paneer, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.