Kulchas, Punjabi Whole Wheat Kulcha with Yeast
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 54 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 62625 times
Kulcha is one of the most popular breads in Northern India, just like naans, rotis and parathas. Made with a dough of whole wheat flour, yeast and curds, these Kulchas have a unique texture and mouth-feel.
Follow the instructions in the recipe consistently to ensure that the yeast gets activated well and the dough rises nicely. It is also important to cook the Kulchas on an open flame after cooking on a tava in order to get the proper texture.
The nigella seeds that are sprinkled on the Kulcha also get toasted wonderfully when cooked on an open flame and give the Kulcha an instant aroma boost. The Kulcha experience would be incomplete without a brushing of butter, so make sure you do that!
Serve them hot off the tava along with the a delicious Punjabi Subzi of your choice .
- Combine the yeast, sugar and 5 tbsp of lukewarm water in a bowl and mix well. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, yeast-sugar mixture, curds and salt and in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough, using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a lid or damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Add the oil and knead very well.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions.
- Press a portion of the dough flat on a rolling board and roll into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling, sprinkle ¼ tsp of nigella seeds evenly over it.
- Roll again out into a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and place a kulcha over it with the nigella seeds side facing downwards.
- Cook it on one side till it puffs slightly and then turn over.
- Cook it on the other side till it puffs a little and then roast it on an open flame till it turns golden brown from both the sides.
- Repeat the steps 6 to 10 to make 9 more kulchas.
- Brush each kulcha with a ½ tsp of butter and serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per kulcha
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.