13 Best Indian Paneer Recipes
Cottage cheese, a wonder ingredient loved the world over, is extremely popular in Indian cuisine. Although the word itself is believed to be of Persian origin, references to paneer are found in early Vedic scriptures, making it quite indigenous to the Indian subcontinent. There is, therefore, no wrong is calling it Indian cheese!
The best part about paneer is that it is an easily available ingredient. These days, even vegetable shops, dairy booths and local grocers stock paneer. If you are not satisfied with these, and want the softest of soft paneer, you can prepare it easily at home .
Paneer is not only tasty, but also a great source of protein to non-vegan vegetarians, including the Buddhists. Hence, for more reasons than one, this popular ingredient is greatly loved by many, and used in a range of recipes ranging from soups and salads to Snacks and Starters, main course and Desserts too.
So, get started with a slab of paneer, and prepare memorable dishes using it, to win the hearts of your near and dear ones.
The succulent, crumbly texture of paneer, and its ability to mingle easily with other ingredients and absorb varied flavours, makes it a versatile and cooperative ingredient.
1. Want to make some paneer based starters for the party? Try Paneer Parcels. Kids and adults both are sure to like it. Paneer coated with Schezuan sauce, dipped in maida mixture and deep fried till golden brown. Just a description of this dish is enough to make your kids drool over it.
2. Paneer Pasanda is one Punjabi subzi which most paneer lovers like to order at restaurants. This subzi has two types of onion paste. One is a mixture of cooked onions with cashews, which imparts a unique creaminess to the paneer pasanda and the other is a brown onion paste, which imparts a very rich and intense flavour to it. Enjoy it with Butter Naan and Sliced Onions.
Paneer Pasanda Sabzi, Restaurant Style Paneer Pasanda
3. Here’s a Quick Paneer Pulao recipe made in a pressure cooker. It is a notion that paneer tends to turn chewy if cooked in a pressure cooker. Overcome this myth with this tasty and delicious pulao recipe.
Paneer Pulao, Quick Paneer Pulao Recipe
4. Pita breads are also an ideal bread for stuffing paneer. Choose the marinade of your choice and toss it with cottage cheese to make Paneer Pita Pockets. Add some veggies of your choice along with this marinated paneer and stuff it in the pita bread. Your own dish meal to please the kids is ready!
Paneer Pita Pockets
5. Paneer Starters are quite popular. Try these Paneer Potato and Corn Balls for Kids Birthday Party or as a cocktail starter. Spiced up with green chillies and coriander, fluffed up with grated cheese, bound together with a simple white sauce, and deep-fried till a perfectly golden brown!
6. Ah! The Paneer Pakoda. Go to the North of India, these pakodas will feature not only on the restaurant menus, but also the dhabba menus. Served with green chutney and tomato ketchup, this is one of the best ways to enjoy the succulent taste of paneer.
Paneer Pakoda, Punjabi Paneer Pakora Recipe
7. Paneer can be cooked in a healthy way too. Why not try the Paneer Methi Palak Subzi? Get your dose of antioxidants from the green and calcium from paneer. Cooked in just 2 tsp of oil, it isn’t fat-laden either.
Paneer Methi Palak, Healthy Subzi
8. The aroma of a grilled sandwich being cooked is just mouth-watering. And if it is generously buttered, lined with green chutney along with a paneer stuffing tossed with Indian spices, it is just lip-smacking. Yes, you guessed it right. We are talking about Grilled Paneer Sandwich.
Paneer Sandwich Recipe, Grilled Paneer Sandwich
9. Wraps, Rolls and Frankies are kids favourites. It is easier for the mother to make up a one dish meal for their tiny tots. Paneer Schezwan Frankie is great to serve at parties or to enjoy as an evening snack. Your kids will love to sink their teeth into one Paneer Schezwan Frankie when they return from school.
Paneer Schezwan Frankie
10. We cannot forget the Paneer Paratha here. How about mixing it with some veggies to make Paneer and Vegetable Paratha? Mashed green peas, some grated beetroot, grated carrot, crumbled paneer, fresh coriander and green chillies as a stuffing makes these parathas more colourful and tempting.
Paneer and Vegetable Paratha
11. Occasionally try a paneer based starter which isn’t fried. Mix it with a fresh herb to make Parsley Paneer Dip. And with this healthy dip, finish off your starter dish with some carrot and cucumber sticks and not fried chips.
Parsley Paneer Dip, Healthy Cottage Cheese Parsley Dip
12. At snack time you can also indulge into Paneer aur Hare Chane ka Salad. A complete protein laden delicacy to build bones and muscles. The lemon dressing adds the necessary tang to this salad and cumin seeds perks up the flavour further. You won’t miss out on flavours at all, it’s our challenge.
Paneer Aur Hare Chane ka Salad, Healthy Salads Recipe
13. Paneer Chilli Dosa is a famous Mumbai Roadside food. The regular aloo stuffing is replaced with paneer stuffing. The bland paneer is pepped up with the flavours of chilli garlic sauce, tomato ketchup, soya sauce, chilli powder and garam masala. Keep the stuffing ready, buy the dosa batter and spread out yummy dosa on tava in your own kitchen.
Paneer Chilly Dosa, Mumbai Roadside Recipe