Top 10 Veg Sprouts Recipes
Health professionals are increasingly recommending that people eat sprouts, which are easier to digest, lower in calories and richer in nutrients than dry pulses and seeds. Enzyme levels in seeds increase dramatically when they are sprouted; the seed fats are converted into essential fatty acids; carbohydrates and proteins are converted into sugars and essential amino acids respectively; minerals become easily absorbable; and vitamin levels increase substantially. Sprouts are also rich in antioxidants that are a must to fight the stress, free radicals and pollution one is exposed to these days.
3 reasons to bother about sprouts!
The process of germination or sprouting brings about many remarkable changes in the seeds. Here are some ways in which sprouts are beneficial:
1. Easy to digest: The starch gets converted into simple sugars like glucose and fructose, proteins are broken down into amino acids, and saturated fat gets converted into simple fatty acids. Sprouts also contain enzymes that aid digestion.
2. Ideal for dieters: The calorie content of the seeds decrease on sprouting as some amount of the carbohydrates and fats get converted into more easily digestible forms. Besides this, when had as a salad or breakfast, sprouts are very satiating, thereby keeping you away from impulsively snacking on high calorie foods.
3. Contains extra proteins: Sprouting increases the availability of proteins. For example, on sprouting, the protein content of moong increases by 30%, i.e., 100 gm of unsprouted moong contains 24.9 gm protein, but on sprouting it increases to 32 gm. The inactive enzymes present in the seeds also become active after sprouting, thereby enabling easier digestion and absorption.
Inexpensive and versatile, sprouts are a great addition to soups, salads, subzis, and even rice dishes ! As the seeds sprouts, their flavour is enhanced, making them sweeter, crisper and tastier. Needless to say, sprouts should be an essential part of our daily diet. To prevent boredom, all you need to do is learn how to use sprouts imaginatively in a variety of different preparations.
Here are some suggestions...
1. Mixed Sprouts and Chana Dal Tikki is a good way to have sprouts at snack time. This recipe also makes use of crumbled paneer as an additional source of protein. Plan it and make snack time healthy.
Mixed Sprouts and Chana Dal Tikki
2. Who said it is difficult to include sprouts at lunch time? Why make only subzi with sprouts? Try this Low Calorie Sprouts Kadhi. Serve it with phulka for a true nourishing experience.
Low calorie Sprouts Kadhi
3. As a one dish meal for dinner, Bean Sprouts and Green Tomato Salsa Wrap would be just perfect. Make use of left-over rotis if any and serve this healthy wrap with a hot bowl of soup.
Bean Sprouts and Green Tomato Salsa Wrap
4. Sprouts Pancakes are perfect for breakfast. They are rich in protein from sprouts, vitamin A, vitamin C and iron from greens lie spinach and fenugreek leaves. All these nutrients are a perfect kick start for the day. They will keep you energetic through the day.
5. As a tiffin snack, Sprouts Dhokla are one of the healthiest option. Steamed and not fried, made with sprouts and served with green chutney. Share it with you friends and colleagues.
6. Mixed Sprouts Beetroot Healthy Lunch Salad is a one dish meal full of protein and antioxidants. While protein is needed to nourish every cell of the body, the antioxidants will help fight inflammation and protect the cells of the body.
Mixed Sprouts Beetroot Healthy Lunch Veg Salad
7. Mixed Sprouts Chaat is a quick and easy snack, a few minutes is all it takes to toss together this amazing snack if you have all the ingredients ready. You can serve it for any get-together too! It is sure to be applauded.
Mixed Sprouts Chaat, Evening Indian Snack
8. Looking for South Indian recipe using sprouts? We have experimented that too. Here’s the recipe of Sprouts and Palak Idli. With very few ingredients used, this Idli is a healthy.
Sprouts and Palak Idli
9. Nutritious matki beans join hands with a couple of crunchy and colourful veggies to make a scrumptious matki salad. Simple spices add to the flavour of this healthy sprouts salad, while tangy lemon juice works its magic.
Matki Salad, Healthy Moath Bean Salad
10. Mixed Sprouts and Palak Raita is yet another healthy recipe for healthy heart. The fiber from sprouts help to control cholesterol and blood sugar. This recipe is apt for weight loss to kids to pregnant women.
Spinach and Mixed Sprouts Raita