Sprouts and Palak Idli
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4126 times
But for the fact that it is steamed in an idli mould, the Sprouts and Palak Idli has nothing else in common with the traditional rice and urad idli, because it has an excitingly different taste and mouth-feel. Very soft and spongy, the Sprouts and Palak Idli is addictively delicious. The batter of moong sprouts and spinach gains its appetising aroma and taste from ingredients like sesame and green chillies. This batter does not have to be fermented. By adding a dash of fruit salt, we ensure that the idlis come out very soft and fluffy even though the batter is not fermented. The best part is that this tasty snack is also very healthy, loaded with protein but low in calories. Enjoy it with chutney and sambhar for breakfast or supper, or cut it into bite-sized pieces and serve as a starter or evening snack with green chutney!
- Combine the sprouted moong , spinach and green chillies and add them to a mixer.
- Blend this all together using little water (approximately ½ cup) into a smooth paste.
- Transfer the paste into a bowl, add the salt, besan along with approximately ¼ cup water and mix well to make a batter of pouring consistency.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt over the batter and add 1 tsp of water over the fruit salt.
- When the bubbles start to form, mix the batter gently.
- Grease an idli mould with a little oil, pour spoonfuls of the batter into the greased idli mould and pat it lightly to spread the batter evenly.
- Repeat step 6 to prepare 2 more idli moulds.
- Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Remove from steamer and let the idlis rest for 2 minutes. Dip a spoon in water and carefully demould the idlis from the moulds using that spoon.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.