Last Updated : Sep 28,2023
Viewed 162066 times
What is Sprouted Moong? Sprouted moong refers to whole moong beans, which have been sprouted.
In order to sprout the moong, first it has to be sorted to remove stones, washed, and then soaked in water for 6-8 hours. Wash the moong again and drain the Water. Subsequently, hang the soaked moong in a moist cloth for 10-12 hours (depending on the climate) or till you see the sprouts coming out of the muslin cloth. You may sprinkle water frequently if the cloth becomes dry. When the bean sprouts have developed short shoots, they are ready to eat.
Sprouts are living foods. Even after you harvest your sprouts and refrigerate them, they will continue to grow slowly and their vitamin content will actually increase. This makes them a healthy addition to your diet. Moreover, the slightly crunchy texture and sweet flavour of moong sprouts also adds to the taste of dishes you use them in, from salads to dosas.
How to select Sprouted Moong, sprouted whole green gram
• Because bean sprouts have become a common ingredient, many grocery stores stock them, but it is always more hygienic to prepare at home.
• If buying readymade, look for plump, crisp specimens that are not slimy, limp, or stringy.
• Also, look for sprouts with shoots that are still short and stored in refrigerated conditions. Longer sprouts tend to get more woody and bitter.
• Exposing the sprouts to sunlight will cause them to start photosynthesizing, which will make them pale green.
Culinary Uses of Sprouted Moong
• Sprouted moong can be used to make a very refreshing and healthy salad. The bean, when sprouted, turns out to be sweeter and this combo goes well with cucumbers, lemon and green chillies.
• It can be used to make famous Maharashtrian dishes like usal and the bhaji for misal pav.
• Sprouted moong can also be used in a variety of other subzis and curries, as well as in rice dishes, upma, etc., just as other vegetables are used.
• A batter of sprouted moong along with minimal spices can be used to make dosa or uttapa.
• The sprouts can be made into a stir-fry with other veggies, and ingredients like garlic, ginger and spring onions.
• Uncooked moong sprouts are used as a filling for Vietnamese spring rolls, as well as a garnish.
• In Korea, slightly cooked moong sprouts are often served as a side dish. They are blanched by placing in boiling water for less than a minute, immediately cooled down in cold water, and mixed with sesame oil, garlic, salt, and often other ingredients.
How to store Sprouted Moong, sprouted whole green gram
• Use the sprouts within two days, and make sure to rinse them before use.
• Sprouts are a common source of bacterial contamination, so get into the habit of rinsing any type of sprouts before eating them.
10 Health benefits of Sprouted Moong, sprouted whole green gram
1. Moong sprouts is a nutri-dense sprout. It’s a good sources of several nutrients like b vitamins, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus etc.
2. These sprouts are a protein boost. They help cell growth and maintenance, building strong bones and also form a part of immune building cells.
3. The high fiber count of these crunchy sprouts makes them an ideal choice for those trying to achieve weight loss as well as those on exercise training. They will give you a feeling of fullness and keep you away from unhealthy bingeing for long hours.
4. Sprouted moong is beneficial in relieving the symptoms of anaemia by building hemoglobin levels due to its high iron count.
5. Moong beans are a good source of antioxidants which help neutralize the effect of free radicals in the body. In high amounts free radicals can create havoc in body. They can lead to chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease.
6. The fiber from sprouted moong has also been linked to lower LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) levels, thus decreasing the risk of heart diseases.
7. Hypertensives to can include moong sprouts to their diet. The potassium and magnesium are the 2 key nutrients which help to maintain blood pressure and normal heart rate.
8. Sprouts are easily digestible since complex nutrients are broken down into simpler substances. Moreover they also have abundant enzymes which makes digestion easier further.
9. Sprouts are a boon to the digestive tract too. The presence of ‘pectin’ – the soluble fiber in it helps in the smoother passage of bowels and clearing your gut of the food.
10. Pregnant mothers also should include these healthy sprouts to their diet. It abounds in key nutrient folate which assists in preventing neural tube effects. It is best to make sprouts at home using fresh clean water, as sprouts sometimes are a carrier of bacteria through use of unclean water.
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.