Top 12 Indian Cucumber, Kakdi Recipes
Cucumber is a veggie we readily associate with the summer. Watery and cooling, it is a refreshing addition to our diets. Cucumber has a kind of neutral flavour, which makes it an apt addition to many dishes. It can be used just as well in subzis and salads as in smoothies and juices.
Cucumber is a common veggie that is also reasonably priced. It is available throughout the year in the market as it grows natively. Nowadays, some hybrid varieties of cucumber with dark green skin and less seeds are also available – you might find them labeled as English cucumbers or herbal cucumbers in the market! They are just as tasty as the larger native ones. When you choose cucumbers, pick ones that have a smooth skin. The skin will be a mix of light and dark green, but should not be yellowish. Try to use the cucumbers within a day or two of purchase as they tend to soften and lose their crunch after a few days.
Cucumber is a low calorie vegetable, which helps build immunity, adds glow to skin and also promotes over all health. Read 12 Benefits of Cucumber.
12 Best Uses of Cucumber
1. You can juice it up with a squeeze of lime and a few sprigs of mint. Alternatively combine it with other fruits to make a fruity treat like Pineapple and Cucumber Juice and Minty Cucumber Cooler. This is dose of water and vitamin C. It will help add glow to your skin.
2. Cucumber is a delightful addition to any salad, as it has a crunchy and juicy texture. Carrot Cucumber and Rajma Salad in Mint Dressing is pleasure to the eyes and health both. Filled with protein, fiber and antioxidants, this is a great addition to keep a watch on your waistline. Also check the recipe of Cucumber Capsicum and Celery Salad.
3. Cucumber Raita and Cucumber Pachadi (the South Indian version) are standard accompaniments that are made very frequently in the summer. A rich and luscious raita with a variety of ingredients. They add a refreshing touch to any meal, especially lunch.
4. Cold Cucumber Soup can be refreshing and appetizing at the same time, especially when garnished generously with perky mint and tantalizing pepper powder. In winters a hot bowl of soup is quite enjoyable, similarly this cold soup is pleasing in summers. Try it out!
5. While salads and juices might not seem very new to you, the fact that you can make snacks with cucumber might be a pleasant surprise. Try Cucumber Pancakes as a quick fix up. These mini pancakes are sure to entice kids too!
6. The addition of cucumber in a Vegetable Sandwich is just irresistible. This Mumbai Roadside snack is made on ‘rekdis’ on every street corner. The smell of the green chutney of this sandwich is the major attraction.
7. Cucumber is a food for fasting too. Sliced cucumber with a dash of salt and pepper is a delight to munch on. You can make it more interesting by way of Khaman Kakdi. Peanuts, coconut, coriander, green chillies with a dash of salt, lemon juice and sugar is alluring to the taste buds.
8. Another interesting way of using cucumber is Chana Dal with Cucumber. You might wonder what use of simple masalas like turmeric powder, chilli powder and cumin seeds could be, but these wonder ingredients work magically to enhance the aroma of the dal when it is simmered.
9. Another South Indian delicacy which makes use of cucumber is Cucumber and Carrot Curd Rice. Made in every household in south of India, this forms a part of their lunch and dinner both. Its texture and warm, hearty flavour strikes a chord with most people.
10. Thai cuisine features cucumber as well in the form of Thai Cucumber Pickle. This is slightly different than Indian style Kachumber. Paired with tomatoes, this accompaniment has red chillies along with vinegar, salt and castor sugar. It is treasure from Thai cuisine.
11. Sushi often have cucumber as a main ingredient. Making a sushi is no joke. It requires some special ingredients and a lot of patience too, but it is completely worth the effort. Try the Avocado and Cucumber Sushi.
12. Cucumber is quite popularly used in Indian dips too. Try Ragi and Oats Crackers with Cucumber Dip. While the crackers are brimming with fiber, the dip is absolutely low cal. In all, it is a health treat for one and all.
Have a look at the delightful cucumber based treats we have presented. Try them out, and help your body and mind cool down in the summer.