Bisi Bele Bhaat
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 166 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 113195 times
This traditional spicy rice dish from karnataka is quite addictive – served piping hot topped with lots of ghee and accompanied by fried papads and a cool raita, it is almost impossible to say no to! improvise by adding field beans, peas, kidney beans or other legumes along with the vegetables, for an extra-strong protein boost! victims of this lightning-fast age need not miss out on this delicacy; you can make it using readymade bisi bele bhaat masala instead of grinding the spices.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add all the ingredients and sauté on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- When cool, blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for about 2 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal, oil, turmeric powder, salt and 6 cups of water in a deep pan, mix well, cover and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the rice, French beans, carrots, potatoes, capsicum, shallots and drumsticks, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the rice and dal are cooked. (they should be soft and slightly over cooked)
- Add the prepared masala, curry leaves and tamarind pulp, mix gently and cover and cook on a slow flame for another 5 minutes. Add the ghee and serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||267.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||2 mg|
|Vitamin C||31.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||42.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.