Cucumber Pachadi, South Indian Cucumber Raita
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Cucumber Pachadi, South Indian Cucumber Raita in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Cucumber Pachadi, South Indian Cucumber Raita in Gujarati)
Added to 82 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 48748 times
A semi-spicy cucumber raita made in a typical South Indian style, with sautéed onions, green chillies and an aromatic tempering. This is not an everyday raita but a special one, with tongue-tickling flavours and ingredients of assorted textures.
Using fully-cooked onions and semi-cooked ones (along with the tempering) gives two different textures and flavours to this refreshing South Indian Cucumber Raita. Make sure you add the curds to the sautéed veggies only after the mixture is completely cool. Otherwise the curds will get watery and ruin the creamy consistency of the Cucumber Pachadi.
Serve as an accompaniment to Bisi Bele Bhaat , Chitrana Rice and South Indian Stir Fry Rice .
- Heat 2 tsp of coconut oil in a deep non-stick kadhi, add the ginger and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the cucumber, green chilli and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Transfer into a bowl and keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the curds and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp of coconut oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, red chilli and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tempering over the cucumber-curds mixture and mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve chilled.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.