Hummus, Lebanese Dip
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 122 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 105590 times
Hummus, the famous traditional Lebanese spread, has a creamy chickpea texture. It tastes fantastic when served as apart of a mezze platter with Pita Bread or vegetables.
Hummus has a unique flavour of chickpea, olive oil and parsley. Very healthy to eat just with cucumbers or carrots and great for weight loss and Endurance Athletes.
- Combine the kabuli chana, olive oil, salt, garlic, lemon juice and curds in a mixer and blend to a smooth mixture. Add a little water only if required.
- Spoon the mixture into a serving plate and pour olive oil and sprinkle chili powder and parsley over it.
- Refrigerate till use and serve with lavash.
Hummus Video by Tarla Dalal
Hummus, Lebanese Dip recipe with step by step photos
- Wash and soak approximately 1/3 cup of kabuli chana (chickpeas) in a deep bowl with in enough water.
- Cover with a lid and let it soak overnight. The chickpeas will double in size.
- They will look like this once soaked for 8 to 10 hours. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Put the soaked chickpeas in the pressure cooker.
- Add enough water and salt and pressure cook for 4 whistles. Here, overcooked chickpeas
work great too. If you want the chickpeas to go soft, you can add a
pinch of cooking soda while pressure cooking so that the chickpeas cook
- Wait for the pressure to drop naturally before opening it. If you open it in a haste, the chickpeas will not have cooked properly. 1/3 cup of chickpeas will yield about 3/4 cup of boiled chickpeas. If you open the cooker before the pressure has dropped, the chickpeas might not have cooked through.
- Drain the kabuli chana. Tip: Keep aside some cooking water of the chickpeas to add to the blender if required. This liquid will give a smooth consistency to the hummus. If you have already drained the liquid, you can use water instead.
- Put the kabuli chana in a mixer.
- With it add olive oil. This is the second most important ingredient for hummus. Use extra virgin olive oil if possible, but if you don’t have that, then regular is fine.
- Now add the salt and the garlic. If you want to make it jain, you can avoid the garlic.
- Now add the lemon juice.
- Finally add curd to the mixer. This might seem unusual but a few middle-eastern countries replace tahini with yogurt in their hummus for a tangier taste. If you want, you can avoid the curd and put tahini instead.
- Mix this all together and blend to a smooth mixture. Add a little reserved chickpea cooking water, only if required. while blending, add water little by little so as to avoid making the hummus too watery.
- Spoon the mixture into a serving bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over the hummus. No hummus is complete without the olive oil drizzled on top.
- Also sprinkle a little chili powder over it. This is to give it a slight kick of spice.
- Now sprinkle finely chopped parsley over the hummus. This is optional, you can avoid the parsley if you like and replace it with other fresh herbs. A new way to incorporate parsley here is to make this bright green colored Parsley hummus which has an earthy and herby taste.
- Refrigerate till use and serve with lavash or breadsticks. Lavash is easily available in stores or you can make lavash at home
Hummus for Weight Loss and Athletes. A protein treat (3.2 g) which boosts your metabolism and aid in maintaining your waist line. Being not very high in carbs (10.8 g) but high in fiber (4.5 g) Hummus satiates you for a longer time and releases the sugar in the blood gradually. Moreover, the Oil used in this recipe is also olive oil – a source of omega 3 fatty acids. These fatty acids are known to reduce inflammation in the body. Hummus for Weight Loss and Athletes is a perfect healthy snack.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.