Pita Bread, Lebanese Whole Wheat Pita Bread
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 93 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 145075 times
pita bread recipe | Indian style pita bread | healthy whole wheat pita bread | pita bread on tava | with 22 amazing images.
pita bread is a famous Lebanese flat bread sold all over the world and we show you the Indian style pita bread recipe. A popular bread from Mediterranean cuisine, pita bread can be had as it is with Hummus or used to make tasty dishes like Falafel.
Our pita bread recipe is yeast leavened bread made with whole wheat flour. The pocket in the bread is created because of the steam. pita bread recipe is traditionally baked but we have here shared a pita bread on tava recipe where we have cooked it on a non-stick pan making it easier and quicker! This is an Indian style pita bread.
Notes on whole wheat pita bread. 1. The yeast will feed on the sugar and starches and release CO2, which will cause the dough to rise. 2. The frothy layer on top indicates that the yeast is activated. If the mixture doesn't foam, discard and start over with new yeast. 3. In a deep bowl, take the whole wheat flour. Ensure you make use of a big bowl as the dough will rise and you do not want it to get messy. 4. Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and allow it to prove for 30 minutes or till the dough rises almost till double. Covering also prevents the dough from forming a dry layer on top.
See why this is a healthy whole wheat pita bread? Whole wheat flour used in making pita bread is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Whole wheat flour is rich in phosphorus which is a major mineral which works closely with calcium to build our bones. We have used very little sugar in the recipe.
Likewise, it is also important to use olive oil to make pita bread, as it gives a mild but characteristic aroma to the bread.
Learn how to make pita bread recipe | Indian style pita bread | healthy whole wheat pita bread | pita bread on tava | with detailed step by step recipe photos and video below.
- To make pita bread, combine the dry yeast, sugar and 2 tbsp of water in a bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside for 5 minutes or till the dry yeast completely dissolves in the water.
- Combine all the ingredients along with the yeast-water mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and allow it to prove for 30 minutes or till the dough doubles in volume.
- Knead the dough to remove the excess air.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions and roll out each portion into an oblong of 175 mm. (7”) length and 6 mm. (¼”) thickness using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the pita bread on a medium flame for 1 minute on both the sides or till small blisters are seen.
- Then, cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Cut each pita bread into 2 halves horizontally and use as required.
Pita Bread Video by Tarla Dalal
Pita Bread, Lebanese Whole Wheat Pita Bread recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per pita bread
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.