by Tarla Dalal
Added to 141 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 97417 times
Dal Amritsari, as the name suggests is a dal from the city of Amritsar in North India. Prepared with whole black lentils or whole urad, this dal is ready in a jiffy when cooked in a pressure cooker, without compromising on the taste. A tadka or tempering is prepared for this dal with tomatoes onions and a blend of Punjabi spices. No Punjabi dal is complete without the use of some Punjabi garam masalas. Serve hot garnished with some chopped coriander or butter.
- Clean, wash and soak the whole urad in water overnight.
- Drain, add ½ cup onions, ginger, salt and 2½ cups of water and pressure cook for 15 to 20 minutes, over medium flame, till the urad is cooked.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk so as to mash the dal, add the cream and cook on low flame for 10 minutes so it thickens. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil and ghee in a small pan, add the remaining onions, ginger paste, garlic paste and green chillies and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté for 3-4 minutes or till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, Punjabi garam masala and salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add it to the dal and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.