Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 147 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 190737 times
Freshly prepared pakodis of besan perked up with coriander, green chillies and green chillies are floated in a mouth-watering kadhi.
The kadhi is quite richly flavoured with an assortment of spices ranging from cloves and cinnamon to fenugreek and coriander seeds, and the pakodas are an added attraction that make the Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi thoroughly irresistible!
Make sure you simmer the kadhi for just a minute or two after adding the pakodas so that they absorb the flavours but do not become soggy.
Besides kadhi, dals also hold an important place in Punjabi meals, check out the popular Punjabi dal recipes like Dal Makhani , Panchratni Dal and many more.
Enjoy how to make Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi recipe with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- Combine all the ingredients along with approx. 1/4 cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well to make a thick batter.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and deep-fry a few at a time till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Combine the curds, besan, turmeric powder, salt and 2 cups of water in a deep bowl and whisk well using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds and kashmiri dry red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Lower the flame, add the curds-besan mixture, ginger-green chilli paste, chilli powder and a little salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, re-heat the kadhi, add the fried onions and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occassionally.
- Add the pakodas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve the punjabi pakoda kadhi immediately garnished with coriander.
Punjabi Pakoda kadhi Video by Tarla Dalal
Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi recipe with step by step photos
Put the besan in a deep bowl. It is better to sieve the besan and use it as it will avoid the grainy particles. This is the main ingredient for the pakodas for the Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi.
Add the coriander to this. It is fresh, cleaned and finely chopped.
Add the onions. This will give a nice crunch to these pakodas.
Add the chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder to the besan.
Now add the cumin seeds.
Finally add the green chillies and the salt. If you do not wish to add the green chillies, you can increase the amount of chilli powder.
Mix well so that all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Add approximately 1/4 cup of water. Always add water little by little as more water will make the batter very thin resulting in the pakodas coming out shapeless and falling apart in the oil and less water will result in a thick batter that will be raw in taste after frying. Hence the batter should be of a medium consistency, not too thick, not too thin.
Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, drop spoonfuls of the batter into the oil and deep fry a few pakodas at a time on a medium flame. The oil should be hot as the pakodas need to be fried in hot oil to get a nice golden brown color and proper texture.
Drain them on an absorbent paper and keep aside will we make the Punjabi Kadhi. We have made approximately 18 pakodas. If you do not wish to make besan pakodas, you can try making rice pakodas with leftover rice to make Rice Pakoda Kadhi.
In a large bowl put the curd.
With that add the besan and turmeric powder.
Now add 2 cups of water to the bowl. This might seem like less water but it is perfect as the kadhi is supposed to be thick.
Whisk well using a whisk or a hand blender till no lumps remain. Keep aside.
Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, and add the cumin seeds. Be sure to take a large one as the kadhi might overflow if a small kadhai is taken.
Also add the whole spices like cloves, dried red chillies, cinnamon, fenugreek seeds and coriander seeds which give a very nice flavor and aroma to the dish.
Sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
Reduce the flame to low and add the prepared curd mixture to the kadhai.
Add the chilli powder, ginger-green chilli paste and salt.
Mix well and cook on a slow flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. The kadhi has to boil a little bit atleast for the rawness of the besan and curd to go away.
Just before serving, re-heat the kadhi on a low flame. Now add the fried onions to this. If you want to learn How to make Fried Onions at home, you can refer to the recipe on our website.
Mix well and cook on a slow flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Now add the pakodas and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Do not stir a lot as you do not want the pakodas to break.
Switch off the flame and garnish the Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi with coriander.
Serve Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi immediately with Cooked Rice or Jeera Rice.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.