by Tarla Dalal
Added to 18 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17418 times
Punjabi food is known for its use of healthy vegetables and ingredients that provide the required nutrients to the village folk working lush fields and farms. With respect to nutrients Panchratni dal is one of North India's greatest recipes. True to its name this preparation uses five dals simmered with aromatic spices that lend a bouquet of tantalizing flavours. The dals add the required nutrients to the dish. Curds are used to add some zing. Serve this delicious dal with hot Rotis.
- Clean, wash and soak the dals in warm water for at least an hour.
- Drain, add 2½ cups of water and pressure cook for 15 to 20 minutes, over medium flame, till the dals are cooked.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk so as to mash the dals well. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a deep pan, add the cardamoms, cinnamon and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté till they are golden brown in colour.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds powder and fennel powder and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or till the mixture leaves oil.
- Lower the flame, add the curds and ½ cup of water and simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Add the cooked dals and salt bring to boil.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rotis.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||150.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||3.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||35.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.